Judge in Turner case faces criticism after citing lack of criminal record, remorse in sentencing decision
Brock Turner's case has sparked outrage after he was sentenced to six months in county jail and three years' probation on June 2 (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily).

Criticism of Santa Clara County Judge Aaron Persky ’84 M.A. ’85 erupted nationwide following the sentencing of Brock Turner to six months in jail and three years of probation on June 2. A protest is currently being planned for the Commencement tradition Wacky Walk, and multiple petitions to recall Persky and as well as a petition calling for more University support for sexual assault victims are circulating on social media.

At Turner’s sentencing hearing on June 2, Persky began by acknowledging that the decision was difficult. He said he was partly relying on Rule 4.413(c)(2)(c), which has to do with probation eligibility. The rule states that there is limited culpability if “the defendant is youthful or aged, and has no significant record of prior criminal offenses.”

After revealing his decision, Persky detailed both aggravating and mitigating factors for the sentencing decision.

Aggravating factors, or those which favor extending the sentence, cited by the judge included the following: deep physical and psychological harm inflicted upon the victim and vulnerability of the victim at the time of the crime.

Mitigating factors, or those which favor reducing the sentence, were cited as follows: lowered culpability due to both parties’ intoxication (though Persky insisted this factor was weighted only slightly); the lack of a prior criminal record; character letters attesting to a period of good behavior prior to and after the crime; Turner’s likely compliance with the sentence; adverse “collateral” effects outside of the conviction such as high media attention; and what Persky identified as remorse from Turner.

He called the last determination “one of the most conflicted and difficult in the case today.” However, he said he ultimately judged Turner’s remorse to be sincere.

“The trial is a search for the truth. It’s an imperfect process,” he said, adding later, “I’m not sure his incomplete acquiescence to the verdict is grounds [to affect his sentence].”

Ultimately, Persky said that he did not believe an extensive jail sentence would best suit Turner’s rehabilitation as a sex offender.

Many student groups have expressed outrage at this decision. A group called Stanford Association of Students for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP) created a petition yesterday calling for the University to apologize to the victim, provide supportive services to her and other sexual assault victims, commit educational resources toward sexual assault and administer a new campus climate survey.

Matthew Baiza ’18, co-founder ASAP, said he was moved to action after reading the letter the victim read in court.

“After reading that, we realized the survivor didn’t get justice at all,” he said. “It sends the wrong message to survivors, students and the nation as a whole.”

In a statement released today, spokesperson Lisa Lapin said the University has faced significant misinformation regarding its role in the case.

“[The University] did everything within its power to assure that justice was served in this case, including an immediate police investigation and referral to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office for a successful prosecution,” the statement reads.

Another petition to recall and remove Persky reached over 140,000 signatures at the time of publication. The petition also accuses Persky of bias in favor of Turner, a “fellow alumni and athlete of Stanford.”

An email also circulated today requesting students to join in a protest during Wacky Walk, the traditional Stanford procession of graduating students which kicks off Commencement.

Contact Victor Xu at vxu ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Victor Xu

Victor Xu '17 is an editor and graphics designer. An economics major, he hails from Carmel, IN. He is interested in international development and Kanye West. To contact Victor, email him at vxu ‘at’ stanford.edu.
  • Bill Robinson

Whatever, Dude. I suggest we spend our time on more promising efforts. You long have stopped attempting to have a discussion. Remember, you’re on a public forum, too.

• Bill Shaper

We both know that you didn’t research this case in the last hour ‘dude’. You’re just a pathetic troll displaying your ignorance in public.

• Mike

It was and is very obvious that the Duke case was very real to those involved. In both cases, Duke and Stanford….it was/is very real. The difference..the elaborate “Hoax” created by Stripper Crystal Gail Mangum and then further perpetuated by DA Nifong in the Duke case. The Stanford case went to trial and no evidence ever surfaced, implicating anyone in creating a false narrative, as Crystal Gail Mangum did at Duke University. If you have information to the contrary..please enlighten all of us.

Your quick dismissal of comments made by Turner’s attorney of course..is very predictable for someone arguing your..position. But his comments speak volumes in the court of public opinion. Which you can also dismiss…but would be advised not to.

You don’t like the word “rape”..ok then, call it sexual assault. “Obviously, Turner had the final opportunity and responsibility to avoid the assault.” Your right..and he didn’t…hence the verdict. Penalty Phase – 6 months at a Community Jail. Which with good behavior will be reduced down to maybe 3-4 months…or just 13+ weeks.

Knowing what you know about this case…what sentence would you have given him?

• partTimeNavyWife

No the fact that you still don’t understand that this is rape no matter how you wish it wasn’t even though he was CONVICTED of rape (which means everyone that matters believe he did it) just shows what a nasty individual you are.

And didn’t expect YOU to read it. Ignorant people don’t like to read or understand. It was for those who wanted to talk about the real issues.

• coachTj

Rick…. Let me stick my nasty fingers in you and lets see how you like it.

• coachTj

Difference is Duke guys were innocent… This guy is guilty! He savagely raped a girl and you are defending him. Or maybe you’re saying that this was a polite rape or a nice rape…. Rape is a horrible violation.

• coachTj

You are rationalizing rape. This kind of thinking will continue our culture of rape.

How would you like a gay Bill Cosby to get you unconscious and rape you?

• Frank Furter

Is this the sentence a Stanford graduate, an appointed judge, gave a Stanford student for raping a passed out girl behind a dumpster? Welcome back to the Old Boy Rape Club at Stanford. I would think twice about letting my daughter attend this rape rich environment.

• coachTj

His story changed over time. Of course more in good favor. Smh

• Frank Furter

This is a troll comment, really strange and ineffective

• Frank Furter

He was convicted or rape. Convicted. Rape. Get it. If some drunk Ivy League troll raped my passed out daughter I think I would want him dead. Yet, you think he should get a pass, because…he is rich and goes to Stanford. You are a sick man.

• coachTj

There was no attempted rape… He raped her. Dirty fingers and all. Fingers or tongue or punishment… Rape = rape.

• southerninsanity

Yes. It’s the sentence that a Stanford graduate, an appointed judge, gave a student for raping a passed out girl behind a dumpster. That would be the same student who perjured himself regarding his previous drug and alcohol use (see Mercury News article from today).

• Strykr32

Parallel, not exactly, that was a gang rape that was recorded. And comparing sentencing in Tennessee v California.

• southerninsanity

The fact that you think what Brock Turner did is acceptable shows who the truly “disgusting, vile person” is.

• southerninsanity

That’s irrelevant here. Get over it.

• southerninsanity

Really? The university released a statement saying that Turner is banned for campus. They think that’s all that they need to do.

• southerninsanity

The fact is that not ALL of them are.

• southerninsanity

He likely knows that and is just being an idiot.

• southerninsanity

Remorse should have only been considered in whether or not to issue the maximum sentence. Refusing to issue even the minimum sentence (two years) is truly pathetic.

• Strykr32

Pg 5 of 9 Supplemental Report, PR 044, Case NO. 15-018-0019U …
    “She does not have any noticeable injuries. She also did not feel any pain from the incident. She only had a small bruise from the intravenous needle, which was used on her while she was in the hospital.”

• Rebooked

>>If the son or the father could even begin to internalize the the idea of themselves as helpless victims of assault

This. Instead of “if it were my daughter/mother/sister,” they might think differently if it was “if it were me being sexually assaulted by a much stronger person who forcibly penetrated me.”

• Joey Labadini

Jameis Winston, Kobe Bryant, Greg Hardy and so many more didn’t even go to trial, its not his race its the fact that he’s an athlete

• Bill Robinson

Hopefully for you, any prospective employer won’t view this exchange.

• Steve 907

In 2002 I served as Assistant to the Academic Dean on Semester at Sea. Among my students in the close quarters of a ship for 4 months were a number of white male Stanford bros. As a group they consistently exhibited an obnoxious, entitled and even violently misogynist mob-like behavior based in privilege of race, gender and class. When I learned of rapist Brock Turner’s prominence in Stanford athletics I was hardly surprised.

Shame on Judge Aaron Persky for conspiring with Brock and his equally entitled father, Dan Turner, as he handed down such a light sentence to such a violent individual … worse yet, one associated with a university known for undergraduates who make intergenerational displays of gender, race and class-based entitlement.

• Bill Shaper

Hopefully for you, any prospective employer won’t see your ignorance filled posts on this article. Seek the professional help you so badly meed troll.

• agnosic1

Don’t you think you should be retracting names?

• BooBooLicious10

FACT #1: The FEMALE bears the MAJORITY of the fault here. Now before you try to crucify me for saying this, keep an open mind and read my entire post first.

Had she not CHOSEN to become intoxicated to the point of passing out, NONE of this would have happened to her. If Brock Turner had slipped a pill into her drink to make her pass out, then that would have made him responsible, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Before I continue, let me pause here to state unambiguously: NO WOMAN should EVER be forced to do something without their consent. It’s morally indefensible.

Now with that said, many of you will say, “But regardless of whether she passed out, she still should not have been assaulted.” I 100% agree. However, that is a fictional utopian ideal and not REALITY. I should be able to walk through the Crips part of Los Angeles at 2am wearing all red clothing, but that’s a utopian ideal. The REALITY is that I’d probably get the crap beat out of me or killed if I tried to do so. It doesn’t make it “right,” but it is the reality. So it is incumbent upon INDIVIDUALS to protect THEMSELVES using some basic common sense.

In the case of this woman, she’s going to a college frat party!!! This is going to be packed with testosterone filled guys trying to get girls to drink so they can have sex. This is the reality. This is what nature dictates. So why is this woman drinking herself to the point of unconsciousness? Probably not a wise idea.

Should this woman have been able to go to a frat party, get fully naked on a waterbed with mirrors on the ceiling, pass out from alcohol and not be sexually accosted? Absolutely!!! However, we need to be able to distinguish from utopian best case scenarios and reality. And that reality is such that a significant percentage of the time, that same woman will be sexually violated in some fashion. Again, it doesn’t make it “right,” but rather the reality of our present day society.

FACT #2: Assuming she was passed out when they were intimate, then Brock Turner is a complete piece of garbage for taking advantage of this girl despite her demonstrating ZERO common sense. Men need to have more pride in the moral arena than they do in sexual conquest department.

FACT #3: We don’t “really” know what happened as we weren’t there… perhaps they were both EQUALLY drunk and the woman told Brock that she wanted to have sex. This means that perhaps neither one of them could make good decisions. If this is the case, is Brock “more guilty” than the woman was? What if she literally passed out during or after sex?

FACT #4: We keep hearing about “rape.” That’s a horrific sounding word indeed. If #3 was indeed true, then perhaps we can substitute the word “rape” for “having sex.” It’s not like this kid beat the crap out of her, tied her down to a bed, held a knife to her throat and forcibly “raped” her. In this scenario, what if Brock is going to jail for 6 months because he had what started off as consensual sex? Is that “justice?” The kid is going to have every single future employer who ever does a Google search for him see him as a “rapist.” Every future girl he tries to date who Googles him will see the same thing. That’s quite a punishment in and of itself.

FACT #5: It seemed like the worst part for her was the legal process (based on her statement). The way the hospital and police invaded her body taking samples and collecting evidence was traumatic for her. Moreover, the media reporting it publicly made it worse for her as well. Why aren’t they being held responsible for part of her PTSD?

I wonder if the Swedes hadn’t stepped in and if her sister eventually found her passed out and just drove her home without the police, the hospital and media involved what her life would be like right now. I’ll bet it would be a hell of a lot BETTER. Perhaps they would have just written it off as a “crazy one night stand” and her PTSD would be exponentially less (if even present at all).

FACT #6: This woman’s statement, while very moving, was clearly partially crafted by an attorney as a means of eventually suing Brock Turner and Stanford. She mentions how her little sister is tormented by this as well… interesting because as a “big sister,” shouldn’t she have been looking out for little sis at a college party?!? And where was little sis looking out for big sis? And where was this woman thinking about her boyfriend before getting plastered with a bunch of fraternity guys? These are some model citizens indeed. What a great job their parents did of raising them. (And yes, the same can be said for Brock Turner’s parents as well.)

—-> FACT #7: For those of you with high school or college kids (or those of you currently enrolled at Stanford), EDUCATE THEM as to REALITY. Females who attend a party with alcohol should ALWAYS do the following:

#1: ALWAYS bring at least one DEPENDABLE friend along who stays sober to watch over the group of girls who are drinking.

#2: ALWAYS come and leave together as a group… no girl ever gets left behind.

#3a: NEVER drink anything which has been provided by a guy where you did not see where it came from. In other words, if a guy shows up with a red solo cup full of a beverage (alcoholic or otherwise), DO NOT drink it! Why? Because he could have placed a pill in it in order to rape her later.

#3b: NEVER leave your drink unattended. Always make sure you have full control over your drink so someone doesn’t quickly drop in a pill.

#3c: The ONLY drinks you should have are items you specifically brought WITH you to the party, items which you saw a bartender make themselves and you take it DIRECTLY from the bartender OR a beverage such as a can or bottle which has NOT been opened. These items greatly reduce the likelihood that you get drugged against your will.

#4: ALWAYS stay in visible sight of others. The more people that are around, the less likely something bad will happen to you. WHY? Because there are more good people in the world that bad people. The Swedes who “rescued” the girl are a prime example of this.

#5: ALWAYS manage your ability to be sober vs intoxicated and make rational decisions.

You can say what you want about my perspectives on this topic, but here’s the REALITY: If all the girls at the party had followed my 5 simple steps above, NO ONE would have been sexually assaulted. The woman wouldn’t have massive PTSD now, Brock Turner wouldn’t be facing jail time and the taxpayers wouldn’t have had to foot the bill for this debacle.

Peace.

• Strykr32

Here is the statement Brock Turner gave at 6:36 am, 1-18-15, probably before speaking to his attorney. Case NO. 15-018-0019U, PR 027, 028 and 029…

Statement Of Turner

(S) Turner is an undergraduate student at Stanford University. He resides in the Lagunita Court- Euclipto Dormitory.

He stated that he arrived at the Kappa Alpha house to attend the party with his friend Tom Kremer at about 2300 hours. Throughout the night (S) Turner hooked up with a few girls. By hooked up he meant kissed. Later in the night he went out to the back of the Kappa Alpha house and met a female, later identified as Victim, he described as having dark hair and shorter than him, coming up to about his shoulders. (S) Turner is 6′ 3″. She was with one other female he thought was her friend. They were drinking some beer at the rear of the Kappa Alpha house and started to kiss. The beer was provided by his friend Tom Kremer. Tom Kremer was the only person he was at the party with. Please refer to Dep. Dotsy’s supplement for Tom Kremer’s statement.

(S) Turner stated that he and Victim kissed a little and then Victim subject walked away from the house while they were holding hands. He followed Victim to a location away from the house and ended up on the ground kissing. He stated that he kissed Victim while on the ground. He took off the Victim’s underwear and fingered her vagina. He also touched the Victim’s breasts. (S)Turner stated that he is right handed and used his right hand to finger Victim and touch her breasts. (S)Turner stated that Victim rubbed his back with both hands while he was kissing and fingering her. (S)Turner stated that the entire encounter took place within a span of about five minutes. (S)Turner does not know the identity of Victim. He never got her name and was not able to really describe her. He stated that he probably would not be able to recognize victim if he saw her again.

(S)Turner stated that he never took his pants off and his penis was never exposed. He did not penetrate Victim’s vagina with his penis.

(S)Turner started to not feel well and decided that it was getting late. He said that he got up to leave and was suddenly tackled by a group of guys.

When asked why he ran, he stated that he doesn’t think he ran. (S)Turner explains that the guys approached him as he was getting up and started getting physical with him. He said that he ended up on the ground near the basketball court about 10 yards away from victim.

He then stated that he doesn’t remember what happened after he stood up from Victim and ended up being pinned on the ground. He does remember yelling for help after being pinned on the ground.

By the time (S)Turner hooked up with Victim he had already consumed about seven cans of Rolling Rock beer and a couple swigs of Fireball, which is a cinnamon flavored whiskey. He stated that he was drunk but was able to remember everything that happened. His head was a little fuzzy due to the effects of the alcohol but he consciously decided to engage in the sexual activity with Victim. He was having a good time with Victim and stated that she also seemed to enjoy the activity.

(S) Turner stated that his “intentions were not to try and rape a girl without her consent”. He just wanted to “hook up” with a girl.

• agnosic1

Hormones? Turner was found guilty of assault with intent to commit rape. The victim’s statement indicates she was asked a line of questions to the effect of, “When did you urinate? Where did you urinate? With whom did you urinate outside?” These questions suggest she went outside to urinate. Sorry I don’t have more direct evidence.

There is a commenter who has posted text that purports to be the Victim’s statement to police, which I cannot vouch for: “…At one time during the evening at the Kappa Alpha house, she needed to urinate and there were not enough restrooms inside the house. She walked outside with (001) XXXX T. and (002) XXXX, and continued further away from the house to be more “isolated.” The area they walked to pee was under a tree with a lot of dead pine needles. She stated that she remembered returning to the Kappa Alpha house after they urinated.”

So, maybe she had a pressing biological urge later in the evening that wasn’t “hormonal”? That wasn’t sexual? Maybe she had to urinate? Where she urinated before? Where there were pine needles around? Maybe there was a dumpster nearby? And someone followed her? Someone who was drunk and looking to score? And the perpetrator found the victim alone and vulnerable and took advantage of her, and she blacked out?

Oh, did I mention he was FOUND GUILTY of assault with intent to commit rape? That says any theory about consensual ‘hooking-up’ is just what the perp would want you to believe. And now there’s a story out about Turner’s drug use, which suggests he perjured himself to the judge. There’s your dangerous combination–drugs, alcohol, and zero accountability.

Anyway, at least the jury found him guilty, on three felony counts.

• Strykr32

The redacted names in the Incident report are those of Victim(V01) and her Sister(001).

• Strykr32

If Emily Doe was unconscious, then what would Brock Turner derive from digitally penetrating her vagina. That is for the female’s pleasure not the male’s and there can be no pleasure from an unresponsive unconscious female. If he wanted to attempt to rape Emily Doe, which he was convicted of, then why did he have his pants on, why waste time with the digital penetration. He should have had his pants down and getting on with it.
    Seems not improbable that when he met up with her, she was in a “blackout” which she describes as functioning but not remembering, as she had already experienced on several other occasions. After seven beers and two shots of whiskey, he was too drunk to realize she was in this state. At some point during their activities, perhaps around the time Jonsson and Arndt happened upon them, she became unconscious.

On Pg 6 of 9, of Statement of Victim(VO1), given at 01-18-15, 8:25 PM,
    Stanford Dept of Public Safety Station, found at PR 045, Incident
    Report, Case 15-018-0019U…
    “She has blacked out before from drinking, but only when she has been
    continually drinking for a long time, and it is usually at the end of
    the night when it happens. She has not blacked out often. (she described
    a blackout to be where she is still functioning, but not remembering.)
    She usually makes it home even when she blacks out.”

One issue that doesn’t make sense is that Jonsson and Arndt state that they called out to him and then stopped their bikes around 10 yards away and waked towards her as he got up and started to run. They stopped to briefly check on her and then first Jonsson went in pursuit and then Arndt with Jonsson catching up around 35 yards down a path. Yet according to the Incident Report at PR 006 and PR 017, they had Brock pinned down about 25 yards(PR 006)/75 feet(PR017) from the Victim. Can’t imagine it could take a highly conditioned athlete, albeit drunk, more than 3 seconds to cover 25 yards if he was actually running, so even if they only took 3 seconds to check on her how could they have caught up with him only 25 yards away from Victim if he was actually running.

• Strykr32

His blood alcohol was .17%; hers was .249%. However, she, a 22 year old UCSB graduate, was a much more experienced drinker and probably has a far higher tolerance for alcohol, than he a 19 year old freshman, who likely was not heavily drinking as an Olympic swimming hopeful training year round and living in his parent’s home prior to his first quarter at Stanford.

• Serjo

The ignorant would be you, you fucking retard. Can’t even distinguish rape from abusing an unconscious person but still wants to act smart, fucking hate scum like you. Also the fact that ONE country calls that “rape” doesn’t change the fact that it’s nowhere NEAR as bad as actual rape, and even real rape would NOT justify destroying a fuckin’ boy’s life for nothing at all, civilized countries have less strict juvenile courts for a reason. Even if the case you mentioned had been an actual rape case, which it wasn’t, the victim would have been perfectly able to deal with it after maybe a few years, that boy’s life however is OVER. He has been mentally destroyed for absolutely no fucking reason, and disgusting, braindead scum like you is responsible for the existence and acceptance of such inhumane, despicable laws.

• Serjo

Where exactly did I state that it was “acceptable”? Learn to read ffs. Asking for PROPORTIONATE punishment instead of destroying a teenager’s life has nothing to do with finding any kind of crime “acceptable”. Also I am able to distinguish actual rape from abusing an unsconscious person, since the latter is NOWHERE NEAR AS TRAUMATIZING as a rape you actually perceived. If there is NO or at least a much weaker trauma, there is no fucking reason to lock someone up for a decade or even more, ESPECIALLY a teenager. Get a fucking brain.

• partTimeNavyWife

Once again, you over emotional little child, the law said it was rape, the victim, said it was rape, the witnesses said it was rape, the jury of his own peers said it was rape. And if you ever pass out at a party and wake up with hospital personnel telling you some guy put their penis in your butt when you were unconscious you would then say it was rape (or maybe not). So go have your tantrum with someone you can bully into thinking like you because adults are talking.

• Serjo

Yeah didn’t expect a braindead subhuman like you to understand reasonable arguments anyway, you can fuck off now.

• Joe Hansem

I wonder how much background Michele Dauber has in criminal law or California criminal procedure? In fact I don’t see her listed as admitted to practice in California at all. In actuality, under the California Rules of Court, a defendant’s youth and lack of criminal record are factors that a court is required to consider at sentencing together with the harm he has committed to the victim and his attitude.

• Joe Hansem

You’re comparing apples and oranges as these cases occurred in different jurisdictions with different laws. Moreover, did Batey have a prior criminal record or not? Generally someone with no prior record is more than likely to receive probation as an initial sentence. If he violates then the suspended prison sentence can be applied.

• partTimeNavyWife

Neither had any priors and both were college athletes. The only difference is race and location. And the way the law works the judge is generally look at other cases to go by that have similarities. This is not apples and oranges. This pure bias. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think that this has anything to do with a racist judge but it clearly is a rich white privilege flag that was raised.

• partTimeNavyWife

The prosecution recommended 6 years. I guess even with their law degrees and years of experience they don’t understand either? Even the judge who was on the boys side and padded his sentence knows the boy is guilty. No one else understands the burden of being locked up and unable to go and rape someone else that is unconscious after you too decided to take a few shots. No I don’t understand what it is like to break the law, go to jail, or feel it’s alright to rape someone while they are passed out. And I don’t want to. And for the record idiot, evidence shows that he found her passed out, pulled her behind a dumpster then raped her. He knew what he was doing. He knew it was rape that’s why he pulled her out of site. RAPE, RAPE, Felony RAPE. And it did destroy her life. But as long as his life is not destroyed you are ok. Sick.

• Serjo

Oh right, of course you can totally know that this harmless incident “destroyed her life”, sure. Let me guess, because you say so? Idiot.

• partTimeNavyWife

Unlike you I don’t pretend to read minds or play psychologist. I read. And she said so in a letter to the judge. And her family has said so as well.

• April

There was no “proof* of pentration, but there probably was.

• Mike

It just keeps getting better and better…..read this from the Mercury News.

When Turner is released, he will be on probation for three years — and one condition of probation recommended by the probation department and set by Judge Aaron Persky bans him from possessing or consuming alcohol, or going to places where he knows alcohol is the primary item of sale for the three years. He will also have to submit to chemical tests for drugs or alcohol at any time.

The judge imposed that condition, even after Turner portrayed himself in his letter to the judge as an inexperienced drinker. “Coming from a small town in Ohio, I had never really experienced celebrating or partying that involved alcohol.” He also wrote, “Living more than 2,000 miles from home, I looked to the guys on my swim team as family and tried to replicate their values in how they approached college life.”

But according to prosecutor Alaleh Kiancerci’s sentencing memo, texts and photos found on Turner’s cell phone, which police seized, indicate that he used alcohol and drugs in high school, well before the January 2015 assault. Kiancerci pointed out the lies to the judge during the sentencing hearing, but Persky did not comment on Turner’s dishonesty.

There were many references to smoking, buying, and sharing “weed” from as early as April 2014, when the Turner was in Ohio, throughout his short time at Stanford. ”The text messages also referenced doing acid or trying to find a “hook up” to purchase acid both in high school and while at Stanford. On December 24, 20l4, someone sent a message to Turner stating, ‘I’ve got a hankerin for a good acid trip when we get back. Turner responded, “I’m down for sure.’ On July 25, 2014, while still in Ohio, the Turner sent a text message to another friend saying, ‘Oh dude I did acid with … last week.”The friend then bragged about “candyflippin” the prior week, which he explained was taking LSD and MDMA together. He responded, I gotta (expletive deleted) try that. I heard it’s awesome.’ ”

My favorite line….”Kiancerci pointed out the lies to the judge during the sentencing hearing, but Persky did not comment on Turner’s dishonesty”

• Mike

Here’s some FACTS for ya…..from the Mercury News.

It just keeps getting better and better….

What a joke….

• Serjo

Oh right, of course she didn’t just say that as an exaggeration so he gets a harsher punishment, nooo, she’d never do that, right?

• Jon D

The problem with this case is the facts are a bit unclear. The story from Turner has changed. The girl’s story hasn’t changed but she doesn’t remember much. Her account of what happened slightly differs from the hospital account. Oh, and none of the witnesses are unbiased. They were all drunk, horny, and biased. Probably the most unbiased, not drunk and most objective account came from the grad students. Unfortunately many of the details of this story is simply based on inferences and best guesses.

• partTimeNavyWife

And of course if it didn’t bother her she wouldn’t have bother right?

• partTimeNavyWife

He violated her. Why is that ok to you? Be honest. Are you really that disgusting of a human being?