Critic’s Pick: Jai Wolf, Live in San Francisco

As many of you know, this upcoming weekend’s big event is Frost, featuring headliner Fetty Wap. But for those of you looking to get an early start on a weekend of exciting live performances, EDM artist Jai Wolf will be performing in nearby San Francisco this coming Thursday and Friday. This up-and-coming producer is definitely worth seeing; check out his SoundCloud for a combination of mixes and his two original singles.

The 23-year-old, born Sajeeb Saha, first gained recognition from EDM icon Skrillex after the dubstep DJ included Saha’s remix of “Ease My Mind” on his own label. Since then, Jai Wolf has done official work for other huge artists like Alesso, ODESZA, and more. His first original single, “Indian Summer,” hit #1 on the US Spotify Viral Charts within three weeks of its release. He was also named in Rolling Stone’s “10 New Artists You Need to Know.”

In a rapidly-expanding genre of music like EDM, it’s hard for any artist to stand out — so how exactly has Jai Wolf captured and kept the attention of millions of listeners? Part of it is likely due to the unique South Asian undercurrents evident in many of his mixes. These cultural influences have yielded music that’s a refreshing take on the EDM listeners are used to.

Some of his success may also be due to previous experience in producing and playing his own music. Saha used to call himself No Pets Allowed, back when he was exploring dubstep. Why the switch to EDM? To Saha, dubstep is a tricky genre, “because every time you put out a track, you have to beat your last drop… it’s not fun competing with yourself.” Saha also found that dubstep relies largely on technical ability, whereas his strengths are writing good melodies.

What’s next for Jai Wolf? He’ll likely continue crafting original singles. “Drive,” his second single, was released May 6, more than 11 months after his first. In an interview, Jai Wolf emphasized his focus on long-lasting tracks, rather than trendy releases that are quickly forgotten. He’ll also continue performing at various festivals throughout the country; the schedule can be found on his website.

So make a night of it, and don’t miss the chance to see Jai Wolf life in San Francisco before Fetty Wap takes the stage at Frost.

Contact Serena Wong at serenaw ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Serena Wong is a music editor at the Stanford Daily. She is a sophomore from Los Angeles, Calif, majoring in CS. To contact her, please email serenaw 'at' stanford.edu.