Kevin Anderson signs with San Francisco after going undrafted

(SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Outside linebacker Kevin Anderson became the third member of Stanford’s 2016 draft class to join the 49ers when he announced via Twitter on Saturday that he will sign with San Francisco as an undrafted free agent.

Anderson’s announcement came just a few minutes after teammate and wide receiver Devon Cajuste also announced that he will sign with the 49ers and two days after offensive guard Joshua Garnett was drafted in the first round by Chip Kelly’s squad. They will join former Stanford inside linebacker Shayne Skov ’14 on the roster.

After mainly contributing on special teams as a sophomore in 2012, Anderson consistently joined the regular linebacker rotation in 2013 (eventually notching a pick-six in the Rose Bowl Game) and broke out as a senior in 2014 with 52 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks. His 11.5 tackles for loss put him second on the team behind just Henry Anderson.

Anderson returned for his fifth year in 2015 as a team captain but was limited by injury, as he missed four games and split time with Joey Alfieri to record 40 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks, which was likely one of the major factors why the productive linebacker went undrafted.

In his four years on the field, Anderson totaled 124 tackles, including 28.5 for loss and 11.0 sacks as one of the better edge pass rushers in the Pac-12. The Palo Alto native boasts a lengthy 6-foot-4, 244-pound frame and good lateral mobility to control the perimeter and likely projects in the same position in the 3-4 defense that the 49ers will look to shift to this year.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dhpark ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is now the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily. He's also a Bay Area-based freelance sportswriter. He previously covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season. He covered the 2016 Minnesota Twins for MLB.com and has also contributed to The Bootleg and SI's (now defunct) Campus Rush. Hire him at dpark0027 'at' gmail.com or send him snarky Tweets @dohyoungpark.