Tips and Recipes for the Best DIY Dining Hall Smoothies

We go to Stanford University where a person may be a math genius, but still not be able to properly execute a smoothie. If you’ve ever been held up in the Wilbur Brunch smoothie line because someone didn’t put enough liquid in their smoothie, you get what I mean. If you were that person holding up the line, no shame! This post is for you.

Here are 3 easy tips for making a bomb smoothie at Wilbur brunch with three taste bud friendly recipes if you are already a smoothie expert in need of some inspiration. These are all vegan friendly, but if you prefer dairy options, no worries! Many of these plant-based ingredients can be swapped out for similar products that suit your taste buds and dietary needs.

TIP # 1 – LIQUIDS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS

Unless you want to break the blender with your amazing concoction of 100% frozen strawberries, do yourself a favor and fill the container at least 2/3rds of the way with liquid. You should try to aim for a 1:1 ratio of liquid to fruit for the smoothest smoothies of all.

Fruit juices are delicious liquids to add, but they can also taste really over powering and be loaded with sugar, so try adding Tazo Tea, soy or almond milk, and even straight up water to the mix (#HydrationNation).

TIP # 2—EXPLORE ALL YOUR INGREDIENT OPTIONS

(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)
(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)

Not going to lie, frozen fruit tastes as much like thawed fruit as cardboard tastes like cake.

Try adding these options to your frozen strawberries and mango slices:

• 1 – 2 Bananas: make your smoothie nice and creamy
  • 2 scoops of pineapple: sweet and sour kick that livens up your mix with added fiber.
  • 1 tablespoon of peanut butter: a creamy way to add more protein and texture—try mixing this in with a banana or two and some nut milk for the ultimate creamy smoothie.

TIP # 3—GET A BOOST

(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)
(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)
  • Cinnamon: If you haven’t ever added cinnamon to a smoothie, do it, but go easy on how much you throw in. Cinnamon has great health benefits (which you can read about here http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/The-many-benefits-of-cinnamon/articleshow/50981397.cms)
  • Greens: adding greens to your smoothie can be intimidating, but throwing in a handful or two of spinach often goes undetected. If you’re really into that green smoothie aesthetic, try only blending mango, pineapple, and bananas to keep the bright green color of the spinach. You can definitely add spinach in with berries as well; just don’t be alarmed by the dark brown color that may result.
  • Lemon squeeze: Adding a squeeze of lemon to your smoothie can be a good way to realistically add the health benefits of this citrus fruit, without the overwhelming tartness—it’s the immune system kick you need when you’re feeling those sickness and stress vibes.

SMOOTHIE RECIPES

(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)
(Julia Espero/The Stanford Daily)

MELON REFRESHER

2 Cups of Melons of your choice (Watermelon, Cantaloupe, or Honeydew)

1 scoop of frozen mangos

2 teaspoons of lemon

A drizzle of honey

Fill up half the container with your choice of chilled tea

CREAMY BERRY

1 banana

1 scoop of frozen strawberries

A few sprinkles of cinnamon

Fill up half the container with soy or almond milk

ULTIMATE GREEN

2-3 Handfuls of spinach

1 scoop of frozen mangoes

1 banana

2 teaspoons of lemon

A splash of apple juice

Fill up half the container with water

Try these recipes and add-ons and you’re on your way to never needing Jamba to make your smoothie ever again