Neushul hat trick pushes water polo past Cal State Bakersfield

The No. 3 Stanford women’s water polo team (17-2, 3-0 MPSF) continued its domination in the pool with a 12-5 win over No. 23 Cal State Bakersfield (13-17, 0-4) this past Saturday. The game was marked by a strong second-half effort that saw the Cardinal score 7 goals after the break to build on a meager 2-point halftime lead.

Junior Jamie Neushul finished her eighth hat trick of the season with two fourth-quarter goals, adding to her team-leading goal total of 36. Sophomore Katie Dudley and senior Gurpreet Sohi contributed with 2-goal efforts as well. 

Stanford opened the scoring with five straight goals before the Roadrunners answered with three of their own. However, the Cardinal came out of halftime determined to once again find their scoring momentum. Six different players scored in the second half to continue the Cardinal’s season-long theme of scoring diversity.

The Cardinal have now won 42 straight regular-season MPSF matches, led by an experienced squad that looks to compete for its third straight national championship. Next up for Stanford are two home matches against Cal and San Diego State on April 9 and 10.

Contact Amanda McLean at ammclean ‘at’ stanford.edu.