On immigration, actions speak louder than words

The recent Democratic debates invited a fresh round of harsh words in the melodrama that is our presidential election. However, this showing had a new feature: voting records. 11 months and 20 states into the primary race, a record-based comparison of Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton is finally underway. And for a change, the findings – not the words – are the most interesting.

During Wednesday’s Univision debate, Hillary called attention to Senator Sanders’ vote to expand the Department of Homeland Security’s indefinite detention program. She called attention to his vote to support the ultra-conservative “Minutemen” and their vigilante border policing. And she called attention to Senator Sanders’ vote against Ted Kennedy’s comprehensive immigration reform. Senator Sanders, in turn, called these record-based attacks “unfair.”

Were they unfair? To be sure, Bernie’s campaign has called for a “fair and humane immigration” policy that dismantles detention centers and provides a pathway to citizenship. But actions speak louder than words, and his actions have told a far different story. Senator Sanders has voted time and time again against progressive immigration reform. He’s even voted to increase border policing and to fund the $40 billion “border surge.” Sounding ever less like a revolutionary, Senator Sanders wrote these votes off at Thursday’s debate as “legislation supported by dozens and dozens of members of the House which codified existing legislation.”

His comments prior to campaign season have been equally wrongheaded. He has said of the Senate’s comprehensive immigration reform package: “This is a massive effort to attract cheap labor.” And in a similarly backwards vein, he has criticized guest worker programs as attempts to “drive wages down.” For the past decade, these views and their corresponding votes have landed Bernie on the wrong side of the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Council of La Raza. Put simply, he offers 20th century nativism to 21st century immigration— and it’s unacceptable.

Hillary’s Senate record couldn’t be more different. In 2004, she co-sponsored the SOLVE Act to ease and expand visa access. In 2003, she co-sponsored a comprehensive immigration reform package. And in 2003, 2005 and 2007, Hillary co-sponsored the DREAM Act to provide minors the basic legal support any human deserves.

As Secretary of State, she kept up the same charge. She helped coordinate the historic easing of relations with Cuba, which has reunited families and unlocked tremendous economic opportunity. So too did she spearhead much needed relief for hard-hit communities across Latin America. And for all that has been left undone, Hillary has drafted future legislation and executive action to protect unaccompanied minors and fix our asylum system. What’s more, she has proposed comprehensive immigration reform of her own that would create a legal pathway to citizenship, promote naturalization, end family detention and defend President Obama’s executive orders on deportation deferment.  

Actions speak louder than words, and they make clear that Hillary has fought for immigration reform whereas Bernie has not. Actions make clear that Hillary will fight for immigration reform whereas Bernie will not. And as the Republican frontrunner continues to stand by his statements that immigrants are “rapists,” “killers” and “criminals,” we need a Democratic candidate who will keep up the fight for these issues. Immigration reform touches the lives of millions of people, it concerns our economy and our national security, it strikes at the heart of our nation’s values and it can’t be governed by mere rhetoric. Hillary Clinton will fight for immigration reform and her record can prove it. Of Senator Sanders, we can’t say the same.

Contact Stephen Paduano at spaduano ‘at’ stanford.edu