Stanford’s admission rate drops to 4.69 percent

Of Stanford’s class of 2019, 18% of students graduated with federal student loan debt, owing an average of $14,814. In comparison, 63% of graduates carry federal student loan debt nationwide, and the average graduate owes $28,500. (Photo: KEVIN HSU/The Stanford Daily)

A total of 1,318 high school seniors received letters of acceptance to Stanford’s Class of 2020 on Friday. An additional 745 early action students were accepted in December. The 2,063 admits came from a pool of 43,997 applicants, the largest in Stanford’s history. A further 3.6 percent of applicants were given a place on Stanford’s waitlist.

At 4.69 percent, this year’s undergraduate admissions rate is the lowest in Stanford’s history, marking a significant drop from last year’s rate of 5.05 percent. The total number of admits also decreased from last year, following an increase in Stanford’s yield rate.

The decrease in admissions rate follows the trend of increasing selectivity in recent years. The University admitted 5.07 percent of applicants in 2014 and 5.7 percent in 2013.

This year’s admits come from 50 states and 76 countries. Last year, 2,144 students from 50 states and 77 countries were accepted out of a pool of 42,487 applicants. Of the 2016 admits, 15.2 percent are first-generation college students, and just under 12 percent come from high schools outside the United States.

Associate dean and director of admission Colleen Lim M.A. ’80 noted that this year’s applicants were particularly impressive.

“This was an incredibly challenging year for our admissions staff,” Lim said in an email to The Daily.

“Throughout our evaluation process, we met amazing young people from around the world,” she added. “They showed highly developed ability for problem-solving and self-expression. Some brought exceptional creativity and talent, others demonstrated entrepreneurship and the vast majority of applicants were deeply engaged in service to others. We were moved by personal stories of courage, resilience and character. It was extremely difficult to choose so few from among so many impressive candidates.”

Richard Shaw, dean of admissions and financial aid, was also excited for the incoming class.

“We are honored by the interest in Stanford and overwhelmed by the exceptional accomplishments of the students admitted to the Class of 2020,” Shaw told the Stanford Report. “Our admitted students reflect the deep and profound diversity of the world in which we live. We believe these students will impact that world in immeasurable ways.”

Admitted students have until May 1 to accept Stanford’s offer.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia

Michael Gioia

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.