Ike’s Place to return temporarily to Stanford campus

Updated March 10, 6:30 p.m.: Ike’s will return only temporarily to Stanford as the first of a series of “pop-up” vendors that, starting this spring, will rotate through the McMurtry Building’s Fetter Family Café on a quarterly basis.

Ike’s Press will open on Apr. 4 and remain until the end of summer quarter.

“We are excited to see how the ‘Pop-Up’ concept is received on campus,” said Shannon Silva, business and program manager for the the School of Science and Humanities’ Office of Facilities and Capital Planning, in an email to The Daily.

“Our office is working to launch a website within a month that will allow faculty, staff and students to provide us feedback on vendor performance and recommend types of cuisines they would like to see at the location,” Silva added.

Ike’s Press will be open for business Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Original article below:

The popular sandwich shop Ike’s will return to Stanford as a grab-and-go location at the McMurtry Building.

The deal for the new location was signed yesterday, store owner Ike Shehadeh told the Mercury News.

Ike’s first came to Stanford in 2009 and quickly became a fixture of the Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center. The Stanford location’s closure in June 2014 sparked significant protest from students, including a unanimous ASSU survey in support of keeping the shop on campus and flyers by a group of students calling themselves “Ike’s Army.”

The McMurtry location is not Ike’s first attempt to return to the Stanford campus — the chain previously attempted to open a location in Lathrop Library

In addition, last June, Ike’s announced that it would return to the Stanford area with a full-service location in downtown Palo Alto, near the intersection of Waverly Street and Lytton Avenue. However, the Palo Alto shop’s opening date has not been determined.

Because cooking is not allowed in the McMurtry Building, the new Ike’s will serve cold pre-made sandwiches in addition to coffee, ice cream and cookies.

Contact Hannah Knowles at hknowles ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Hannah Knowles is senior staff writer from San Jose who served as Volume 253 Editor-in-Chief. Prior to that, she managed The Daily's news section.