Synchronized swimming hosts Arizona schools in final home competition

In its last home meet of the season, Stanford synchronized swimming will host the Stanford Invitational on Friday as well as the Western Regional Championships this Saturday.

This weekend’s competition, in which the Cardinal will face Arizona State and Arizona, will be the team’s final tune-up before it competes for the national title at the Collegiate National Championships in three weeks in Gainesville, Florida.

The team excelled in its earlier meets this season against Incarnate Word and will look to put together another strong performance this weekend, all in preparation for what it hopes to be a season culminating in a national championship. The program has won seven titles overall — seventh-best out of Stanford’s 36 varsity athletic programs — with its most recent coming in 2013. For now, however, the team’s focus is on the competition directly in front of it and its efforts to continue to clean up routines before their final showings later this month.

The Cardinal boast a squad comprising sophomore Clare McGovern swimming the solo, sophomores Erica Slavin and Sandra Ortellado performing the duet and the three of them coming together for the trio. In addition, Stanford will have two teams available for team swim, with this season being the first time since 2005 that Stanford has been able to field two teams.

Hope for a break from this weekend’s forecasted rain (or bear it if it doesn’t stop) to see Stanford’s most under-the-radar sport perform at home for the last time this season. Competition will kick off Friday at 3:15 p.m. and continue Saturday at 3 p.m.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.