Women’s gymnastics falls to 20th-ranked Beavers

After leading nearly the entire meet on Monday night, No. 16 Stanford women’s gymnastics (9-6, 3-4 Pac-12) fell to No. 20 Oregon State (8-3, 4-2) after their late push on floor. The final score of 196.325 to Stanford’s 196.250 was close, with the Beavers securing the victory when McKenna Singley posted a 9.900 on floor during the last routine of the night. The win marked OSU’s second straight over a higher-ranked conference opponent.

(RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Sophomore Elizabeth Price (above) was rolling again against No. 20 Oregon State, matching or surpassing the high score in four of five events. However, her all-around meet title was not enough to dispatch the Beavers. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)

Another shining performance by sophomore Elizabeth Price kept Stanford flying high throughout most of the match. Price won or tied for individual event victories in 4 of 5 events. She won the all-around title for the sixth time this season with a combined score of 39.550, her best performances being an outright win on the vault (9.900) and ties for first on the bars (9.950), and beam (9.850). The outstanding sophomore has scored a 9.825 or better in 28 of 31 performances this season.

Excellent showings by juniors Nicolette McNair and Rachel Daum to match Price on beam helped push the Cardinal over Oregon State in the beginning of the meet. Along with tying for the win on beam, McNair came in second on vault, posting a score of 9.875.

Redshirt senior Ivana Hong contributed to the effort by posting a 9.850 on bars to tie for third place in the event. Hong has been another source of consistency this season, scoring a 9.800 or higher in seven of eight meets.

Stanford posted its third-highest score of the season on floor with a combined 49.025, but the drama came when the Beavers took the floor as their last event. OSU’s Singley was a last-minute replacement as the anchor for floor and needed to post a 9.850 or better to best the Cardinal.

The freshman from Utah had performed just three times for OSU on floor, with her best score being a 9.750, but she met the challenge well and posted a career-high 9.900 to get the win over Stanford. Earlier in the night, OSU junior Kaytianna McMillan, who was replaced by Singley on floor, scored a career-high 9.950 on bars to tie for the individual win with Stanford’s Elizabeth Price. Standout performances and the late rally on floor by the Beavers were enough to give them the edge over Stanford despite Price’s sound performance.

The Cardinal will finish off the regular season on Sunday at 12 p.m. in Los Angeles for a tri-meet against UCLA and Georgia. Stanford will look to finish strong as they head into the NCAA postseason.

Contact Taylor Duarte at taylor3 ‘at’ stanford.edu.