Stanford Medicine appoints new chair of pathology

Thomas Montine, current chair of pathology at the University of Washington, was recently appointed as the new chair of the Stanford University School of Medicine’s Department of Pathology. According to Stanford Medicine’s News Center, Montine’s term starts on May 1.

According to Paul Khavar, Chair of Dermatology and co-leader of the search committee for the new chair of pathology, Montine’s leadership within the realm of neuropathology, especially in genomics, complements Stanford Medicine’s goal of providing better patient care.

Montine’s own research in neuropathology examines the link between cognitive impairment and structural and molecular abnormalities, as well as how these abnormalities in turn can cause Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Montine has also put particular emphasis on precision health, including genomics, early detection and personalized therapies. He directs the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center and Pacific Northwest Udall Center, which are national research centers on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.  

Many within Stanford’s medical realm are enthusiastic about Montine’s appointment and future contributions.

“Many individuals at Stanford Health Care and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford working to advance clinical genomics are very excited about Dr. Montine’s interest and contributions in this area [of genomics],” said Professor of Pediatrics Louanne Hudgins, co-leader of the search committee for a pathology chair.

Khavar echoed this sentiment, adding that Montine’s “scientific strengths, program leadership and clinical expertise” will help lead Stanford’s pathology department to a brighter future.

Contact Christina Pan at capan ‘at’ stanford.edu.