Women’s swimming heads to Pac-12’s, seeking 20th conference title

No. 1 Stanford women’s swimming and diving (7-0, 7-0 Pac-12) is heading to Federal Way, Washington Feb. 24-27 to compete for the Pac-12 Championship and the team’s 20th conference title.

The Cardinal are coming off of a huge 172-128 win over rival No. 3 Cal, in which the Cardinal took first in 11 of the 16 events.

Freshman Ella Eastin had a stand-out performance on Saturday against the Bears, taking individual titles in the 200 fly, 500 free and the 200 IM, and will be a top contender for first place in all three of those events this week. The freshman also holds the conference’s top times for season in the 200 fly (1:53.34), 200 IM (1:54.53) and the 400 IM (4:01.04).

Junior Lia Neal is also heading into the meet in winning form, as she currently holds the fastest time in the nation with a 47.74 in the 100 free and posted a comfortable 48.47 win against Cal.

Also looking for strong Pac-12 championship performances are seniors Sarah Haase and Alex Clay, who will look to defend their 100-breaststroke and three-meter diving titles, respectively. Haase holds this year’s conference record in the 100 breast with a time of 58.27.

Joining the team in Washington will be the men’s diving squad, who will compete alongside the women for their conference championship. Although the men’s swim contingent struggled against Cal, the divers couldn’t be peaking at a better time, as they took the top four spots in both diving events.

Out of the four Stanford men’s divers, junior Bradley Christensen is in the best form to lead the Cardinal, as he is coming off a strong performance against Cal, where he placed first in both events with a 363.15 in the 1-meter and a 440.63 in the 3-meter.

The event will be air tape delayed and can be watched on Pac-12 Networks beginning at 10 a.m. on Feb. 26-28.

Contact Laura Stickells at [email protected].

Laura Stickells is one of the Managing Editors of Sports at The Stanford Daily. Growing up in the small, rural town of Bishop, California, Laura captained the powderpuff football team and became particularly adept at driving heavy equipment in her later years, a skill that helped her find a position as an intern at NBC Sports this summer working on Olympic coverage. In her spare time, Laura competes on the Stanford Equestrian Team. She also writes football better than the boys. Laura is a sophomore majoring in communications and can be reached at lauraczs 'at' stanford.edu.