Track and field continues to succeed at the national level

Stanford, Ca - Saturday, May 4, Angel Field — Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational track & field.

This past weekend, the Stanford men’s and women’s track team split up and traveled to three different meets — the Iowa State Classic, the Don Kirby Collegiate Invitational and the Husky Classic — in search of top-16 national rankings that are necessary to qualify athletes for indoor nationals in Birmingham, Alabama.

Stanford junior Danielle Katz set a new personal record of 9:21.35 in the women’s 3000m at the Iowa Invitational, finishing sixth. (J. ENNIS KIRKLAND/stanfordphoto.com)

Highlights from the Iowa Invitational included junior 3,000-meter runner Sean McGorty, who placed second with a PR of 7:48.79. In the women’s 3,000, junior Danielle Katz took sixth with a PR of 9:21.35. Sophomore Patrick Perrier placed 16th in the men’s mile with a 4:04.13.

The Don Kirby Invitational highlighted Stanford’s women’s 4×400-meter relay team of sophomores Gaby Gayles, Olivia Baker, Michaela Crunkleton Wilson and senior Kristyn Williams. The relay team took third and broke a 2005 Stanford record with its time of 3:34.92. In the men’s pole vault, five Stanford athletes placed in the top 16, with junior Dylan Duvio taking third with 17-03 1/2. Sophomore Harrison Williams placed third in the 60-meter hurdles with a PR of 8.15.

At the Husky Classic, Junior Valerie Allman finished third and set a PR with a 20-pound throw of 60-10 1/2. In the women’s shot put, sophomore Lena Giger took third (No. 6, 50-10, while in the men’s, sophomore Tristan Newman took seventh (No. 6, 57-3 3/4).

Contact Matthew Bernstein at mbernste ‘at’ stanford.edu.