The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

An open letter from incoming president, Marc Tessier-Lavigne

Dear Stanford Daily Editorial Board,

Thank you for your open letter of Feb. 8 and for sharing your perspective on the needs of undergraduate students, the issues you believe mean the most to students today and how students are seeking increased engagement, both at Stanford and nationally.  I welcome your engagement, and I’m eager to hear firsthand your concerns and your thoughts about solutions.

During my brief opportunity to address the campus community last week, I sought to reaffirm a number of university principles.  Among them is the importance of fostering a diverse campus community in which all members feel fully included, which is and will be a central priority.

In the spring and summer, prior to my official Stanford start on Sept. 1, I will be visiting to learn more about the University, its stakeholders, current campus issues and the initiatives already launched by President Hennessy and Provost Etchemendy.  You are right that it is my actions that will best convey my intentions, and I’m excited to engage with students and the entire campus community on my arrival.

Thank you again for sharing your insights and your passion about the Stanford student experiences, and also for your kind welcome – I’m really looking forward to being back on The Farm.

Sincerely,

Marc Tessier-Lavigne