About Nitish Kulkarni

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.

About Sam Girvin

Sam Girvin '16 MS '17 is a Daily photographer and coterm in electrical engineering. He served as managing editor of photography for five consecutive volumes and is now enjoying his semi-retirement. He can usually be found in either The Daily office or the basement of Packard. Sam grew up in southern California and Tokyo, but currently resides in northern Virginia. To reach him, please email sgirvin 'at' stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 honestly isn't quite sure what he does for The Stanford Daily anymore, apart from the fact that he still writes a lot about football, gets cranky at the sports editors and scares away the new freshmen. He also writes for (or has written for) The Bootleg, Sports Illustrated and MLB.com and has been a four-time Managing Editor at The Daily. After graduating in June with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science, he's begrudgingly staying on for his master's in Chemical Engineering as well. Please feel free to bother him at dhpark 'at' stanford.edu.
  • David

The problem with this is that everyone wants to go out with someone who is ‘hot’

• Grad Student

How hard would it be to add “grad student” to the list? I mean, come on. We make up too much of a majority of students to be labeled “other”.

• Nothing

Thanks for doing this! Might want to include a couple other compatibility factors like whether people are looking for a monogamous (as compared to polyamorous/or something) and sexual (as compared to asexual) relationship. This helps be inclusive of sexual minorities that extend beyond gay and bi people. 🙂

Also, intersex is more often considered a sex, not a gender. (Though, I don’t want to speak for intersex people, I’m sure at least a few people identify their gender as intersex too after their sex was determined to be intersex.) Gender most often includes man, woman, non-binary, genderfluid, agender, and other terms like that. Not sure if it matters much, but it touches on the difference between sex (male, female, intersex) and gender (man, woman, two-spirit, etc).

Both these things may seem like very minute syntax differences from the outside, but if you look at okcupid or tinder, they’re often labels people put upfront immediately because they indicate a fundamental incompatibility.

• Sam

Thanks for commenting! We’ve edited the help text–definitely trying to be as inclusive as possible.

• Sam

Sorry! Guess we didn’t expect the grad response rate to be as high as it’s been, plus there’s a fair amount of self-differentiation between masters/PhD/business/med students that we wanted to enable.

• Anon

Will names be published in the article or can people choose to remain anonymous?

• Sam

Names will be published, likely alongside a selfie of the two people at the restaurant. Hope that doesn’t dissuade you!

• Janis

Is this just for students or can staff participate? Is there a target age range you’re looking for?

• anon#2

This discourages certain people, particularly LGBT+ individuals who are not out to family/others back home. There’s absolutely no way to remain anonymous for the article? Allowing anonymity would allow for a much broader range of individuals to be comfortable helping out with this experiment.

• Pretendous

Better to ape the mainstream dating sites with regard to matching people by gender and sexual orientation. First ask the gender question: “I am a …” [please state your gender(s)]. Then ask a seeking question: “Looking for a …” [please state the gender(s) of those with whom you would like to meet]. This strategy still places a burden on the matching algorithm to decide whether respondents’ stated self-identifying genders should be treated as inclusive or exclusive when matching with other respondents’ stated seeking gender preferences. But it alleviates a problem with the current design which forces the matching algorithm (probably some hapless Stanford Daily staffer, such as the author of this piece) to interpret the meaning of the sexual orientation item with reference to the gender identity item. This could lead to all sorts of problems, such as trying to match a “straight” “non-gender binary” person with someone else and ultimately would probably result in the matching algorithm just ignoring this case in favor of matching more traditional (heterosexual) date pairings.

• Sanil

Can we use an email address other than stanford email? Some people affiliated with Stanford don’rt have stanford email address

• What

This comment is so classic Stanford. Do you live in the real world?