Cornerbacks Holder, Harris to return to field together for first time since Oregon

While Stanford’s entire defense will have to put on one of its best performances of the season to thwart the Hawkeyes today in the 102nd Rose Bowl, one key to stopping C.J. Beathard and his receivers will be the presence of cornerbacks Ronnie Harris and Alijah Holder on the field, something that has eluded the team as of late.

For the first time since the Oregon game and on the biggest stage Stanford will face this season, Harris, a fifth-year senior, and Holder, sophomore, will take the field at near 100 percent after each of them had faced late-season injuries.

“I think Alijah and I are going to be 100 percent for gameday,” Harris said. “No questions asked.”

“It really is a building board to this climax,” Holder said. “It’s a really good feeling because it’s been about almost a month that me and Ronnie have been in and out of a game or completely out of a game.”

And the pair aren’t simply looking to go out quietly: They’re looking to make a statement, one that wouldl help lead the Cardinal to their second Rose Bowl victory in four years.

“We’ve been talking about it like ‘hey we need to get back in there and get us a pick’ and that’s big because Ronnie’s really hungry about getting that pick and same with me,” Holder added.

Over the last four games without one or both of the duo (or, in the case of USC, when each of them took the field in a separate half), Stanford has given up 14.36 yards per reception, including an atrocious season-high 20.50 yards per catch against Oregon, the team’s only loss in that stretch.

“Every day, you wish you could be out there practicing and competing with your brothers,” Harris said. “I’d say the day after the Oregon game, when I found out that I had that ankle injury, I was ready to get back out there then.”

But just because he was mentally ready to get back out on the field didn’t mean he was physically ready, and making up that gap in between did not come easily. While most guys get to spend time with their families prior to bowl games, Harris, in particular, had to stay at school to rehab instead of going home for the holidays.

“I got to see [my family] over FaceTime,” Harris said. “I FaceTimed the whole family to see them open gifts.”

It also marked the third straight winter break that Harris spent away from his family, as he spent the previous two rehabbing other injuries at Stanford’s training facilities.

“That just shows much determination and dedication he has to play in this game and playing for us,” Holder said about his counterpart. “It’s a true testament to how passionate he is.”

The players have not only benefitted from sessions in the training room, but also the time off that Stanford has had, as the team has gone nearly a month since its last game.

“The time off has helped tremendously,” Harris said. “The body feels better, so well-rested and I’m just ready to get after it.”

Despite the pair’s combining for a total of three starts prior to this season, Harris and Holder have been the team’s go-to cornerback combination over the season. While Holder redshirted his freshman year, Harris didn’t take over as starter over Wayne Lyons until the last three games of last year.

While Holder has been learning the ropes, he’s had perhaps the best role model possible to look to as an example.

“I’m really blessed to have Ronnie, truly,” Holder said. “He’s like a big brother. Like in the beginning, he was a little rough, you know, like big brothers can be, but when you get to know a person, you get to see the right side of them or the real side of them and it’s really good.”

“It’s really rewarding this year getting to play across from him. So he’s just been a really good guy to us young guys and I’m glad I got one more game with him.”

And in what will be Harris’ last game of his Stanford career, Holder is looking to go all-out for his team and his peer.

“This game’s going to be a real showcase of passion,” Holder said, “just how much we really care about this game and we’re just so excited to be back.”

I can’t wait,” Harris said. “That’s my boy.”

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.