Iowa cornerback Desmond King expects to be able to ‘take out’ Josh Garnett

Making Joshua Garnett angry probably isn't a good idea. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Cornerback Desmond King is pretty good at doing cornerback things. He’s second in the nation with eight interceptions and is a consensus All-American at the position.

Cornerback Desmond King, he of the 200 pounds, is also pretty confident that he can match up with a pulling 321-pound Josh Garnett in space.

“I like when guards pull and all that,” he said. “It’s a challenge for me, just knowing that I’m a smart guy, but I have a good, big heart, I know what I can do and the ability that I can come to the table with.”

“I took out somebody that size before my freshman year against LSU [against current Dallas Cowboy La’el Collins],” he continued. “He did the same thing, and I knocked him over… I’m looking forward to the same thing [against Garnett].”

King went on to talk about a “triangle base” that he can use to leverage when in space against big men in order to take them out of a play, which he expects to be able to use this time around, even when Garnett is chugging at full speed towards him.

Garnett just laughed it off and almost seemed disappointed in King when asked about the comments.

“We all saw that, and we all had a good laugh about it,” Garnett said. “When you call individual players out, it takes away from the mystique of the game. It takes away from the team atmosphere we built all year.”

“It’s not about myself. It’s not about Desmond. It’s not about one-on-one matchups between guys. It’s about the team. No one player or one play is going to win the game. It’s going to be a team effort. Yeah. That’s pretty much it for that.”

Mic dropped.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dhpark ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.