Meyer Green to open on Tuesday, Nov. 24

(Courtesy of University Architect / Campus Planning & Design)

On Tuesday, Nov. 24, Stanford will open access to Meyer Green, the new landscaped bowl field replacing Meyer Library located at the intersection of Green Library, Sweet Hall and the Graduate School of Education.

According to Stanford News Services, Meyer Library, which was built in 1966, did not meet current seismic safety standards, so the school decided to raze the building instead of spending more than $45 million to make updates.

After months of construction work that began last February, Stanford has created 2.45 acres of open green and restored the accessibility of one of the original pathways of the campus along Escondido, which stretches from student residences on East Campus to the Main Quad.

Meyer Green visitors can find a series of wooden benches along the upper walkway and picnic tables located around the upper level, looking down onto a circle of paved colored concrete and stone pavers.

During the demolition of the library, landscape crews protected the existing eucalyptus and cedars in the corners of the site, according to Stanford News Service. Some of the new vegetation found at Meyer Green includes one cedar, five coast live oaks and 11 Japanese pagoda trees transplanted from various locations on campus. It also features California coffeeberry shrubs, white flower carpet roses, sage shrubs, fortnight lilies and star jasmine plants.

Groups that would like to reserve Meyer Green spaces for events, including the entire open space, the four groves or the lawn, can contact the Registrar’s Office.

Meyer Library’s previous divisions, including the East Asia Library, Academic Computing Services and a 24-hour study room, are now stationed in Lathrop Library, located directly east of the Oval and adjacent to Memorial Hall.

Contact Ariel Han Liu at aliu15 ‘at’ stanford.edu.