Weekend recap: Conference titles achieved, history made

This weekend was another big weekend for Stanford sports: Several teams clinched shares in conference titles or won them outright, and athletes had some incredible, even record-breaking, individual performances. We break it all down for you here:

• No. 8 football won a close one against Washington State, thanks to stellar play from Kevin Hogan on the ground, Quenton Meeks on defense and a missed Wazzu field goal that would have won the Cougars the game.
  • With a 2-0 victory over UCLA, No. 4 women’s soccer won its first Pac-12 title since 2012, and 10th overall, on Monday evening.
  • While No. 5 men’s water polo earned two key wins over the weekend, more importantly, senior Bret Bonanni broke Tony Azevedo’s record for most career goals on The Farm during the team’s first game of the weekend.
  • Cross country‘s Aisling Cuffe won the Pac-12 women’s championship. The women’s team as a whole placed in third, while the men’s placed in second.
  • While No. 4 men’s soccer clinched a share of the conference title with its win over Oregon State, three days later the team would go on to suffer its first loss since Aug. 28, snapping its 15-game unbeaten streak.
  • No. 13 field hockey became co-champions of the America East West with its 2-1 win over Pacific and will be the No. 1 seed in the West when the conference tournament kicks off later this week.
  • No. 7 women’s volleyball completed a four-game home sweep with its latest four-set victory over No. 19 Arizona Friday evening.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.