For 125th anniversary, alumni share Stanford tales in ‘story dome’

To celebrate Stanford's 125th Anniversary, a "story dome" has been set up across the street from the Alumni Center for alumni to share their Stanford memories via online video. (Courtesy of Tamer Shabani/University Communications)
To celebrate Stanford’s 125th Anniversary, a “story dome” has been set up across the street from the Alumni Center for alumni to share their Stanford memories via online video. (Courtesy of Tamer Shabani/University Communications)

Homecoming officially kicked off this past Saturday, with celebrations including more than just the traditional tailgates and football games. This fall marks Stanford’s 125th anniversary, and with it came a special project created to celebrate the powerful impact Stanford has had on its alumni.

The centerpiece of “Project Stanford 125” is a large dome currently situated near Arrillaga Center for Sports & Recreation across the street from the Alumni Center, where alumni can share their personal Stanford stories.

“This weekend and over the year on campus, we will invite people to share their stories on video by coming to the amazing Stanford story dome,” wrote Nicole Sunahara, director of special initiatives, in an email to The Daily.

Alumni who wish to tell their stories simply enter the dome and receive help from the dome team, which is made up of both students and faculty. Alumni are asked for a quick two- to five-minute interview, which will then be posted on the project website.

“We created the 125th Anniversary Story Dome to share the positive impact of Stanford on people’s lives and on the world,” said Stanford 125 team leader John Stafford. “And we wanted to tell that story through…personal reflections and lively conversation.”

The idea for a dome to be the focal point of the project had to be thought out carefully, said Stafford.

“First, we wanted to employ a structure that was distinctive, optimistic, and fun — we wanted a space that would welcome participants. Second, we needed to create an environment that was conducive to capturing great video and the dome functions as a very effective outdoor studio. The quality of light the dome affords is wonderful. Third, we wanted to use a structure that was portable and could go on ‘tour.’ With a few tools the dome can be packed and transported to a diverse range of locations,” said Stafford.

Alumni are invited to tell stories about any aspect of their Stanford experiences, from meeting future spouses to finding their career paths. Stories shared so far range from “Viewing Humanities through a Digital Lens” to “Becoming the Tree.”

Alumni flocked to campus this past weekend with unique stories waiting to be told.

“It’s always fun to be back on campus. We’ve maintained friends here and it’s just somewhere where you feel like you belong,” said Jane MacLaughlin ’75.

One of Jane’s favorite Stanford stories includes meeting her husband, Robert MacLaughlin ’74, who was also present at the reunion.

For those who can’t make it to the dome, stories and reflections are also welcome via social media. Alumni can tell their stories on a variety of different social media websites, using a specific hashtag. This part of the project will not be released for a couple of weeks.

“We’ll post stories on our website, 125.stanford.edu, and there will also be a way for people around the world to send in their Stanford impact stories on video,” says Sunahara.

In addition to celebrating Stanford’s past, Project Stanford 125 aims to have a lasting effect on campus culture.

“I hope the reflections captured in the dome (and beyond) will provide a snapshot of the university at this remarkable time and that the videos will inspire and delight viewers for years to come,” said Stafford.

Contact Arielle Rodriguez at arielle3 ‘at’ stanford.edu.