A brief history of ‘Gaieties’

As week nine inches closer and closer and our thoughts begin to wander towards midterms, Thanksgiving Break and the insufferable academic cesspool we refer to as dead week, we are granted a moment or two of pause in which to pay attention to another beloved Stanford tradition looming on the horizon. I’m talking, of course, about “Gaieties 2015: Chem 31XXX,” opening Wednesday of next week.

Steeped in a long history of rivalry, outrageous dance numbers and puns that can only be successfully deciphered by Cardinal Frosh, “Gaieties” is known for being one of the only theatrical performances to poke fun at the absurdity of life here on the Farm. Dating back to 1911, “Gaieties” – originally dubbed “Football Follies” – has traditionally gone up the week before Stanford’s annual rugby game against UC Berkeley. After the 1920s, the infamous student-written, student-produced and student-performed musical extravaganza was adopted by Ram’s Head Theatrical Society and turned into an all-campus rallying point for Big Game, the most anticipated football match of the season.

Originally performed as a series of skits, “Gaieties” has evolved into a cohesive musical following the arc of our most cherished Stanford fairytale, in which a ragtag crew of freshman band together to defeat our notorious villain: the Cal Berkeley Bear. Since 1937, the production has found a home in Stanford’s lavish Memorial Auditorium, which, it is rumored, was constructed with this major theatrical event in mind. But in spite of its formal setting, “Gaieties” continues to bring a sense of fun and reckless abandon to a student body desperately in need of a pick-me-up. Students in the auditorium are encouraged to interact with the production as they wish, and the first two rows of the house are known to be filled with Ram’s Head staff ready to hoot, holler, dance and do whatever they can to embarrass their actors.

Like any annual production, “Gaieties” has had its ups and downs. In 1968, due to tensions within the ensemble, the show was cancelled for the first time in history – and for the following decade, Memorial Auditorium remained devoid of its yearly week of theatrical catharsis. Navigating social and political disputes, an apathetic student body and an unfortunate case of bankruptcy, the original Ram’s Head Theatrical Society was forced to close, causing students to abandon all hopes of reviving “Gaieties.”

But when the organization was revamped in 1976, the tradition once again joined the ranks of Stanford’s major musicals. Today, the show serves a much broader purpose than merely pumping the student body up for Big Game – it seeks to unite the campus through the silliness of our common experiences here at Nerd Nation, and it reminds us that it’s okay for Stanford students to have fun sometimes, too.

Gaieties 2015: “Chem 31XXX” will be performed on Nov. 18, 19 and 20 at 8 p.m. in Memorial Auditorium. Tickets can be purchased here.

Contact Madelaine Bixler at mbixler ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Madelaine Bixler is a sophomore hailing from the Bay Area, majoring in theater and history. If you aren't careful, she'll rant about Brecht, feminism, and queer politics until the sun goes down. To send her lovely (or even not-so-lovely) messages (see if she cares), contact her at mbixler "at" stanford.edu.