Stanford’s endowment shows upward growth

Due to generous donors, increased property values and positive returns, Stanford University’s endowment has increased by 3.6 percent over the past year. According to results released by the Stanford Management Company (SMC), the final sum for 2015 amounts to $22.2 billion, as of Aug. 31, 2015 when the fiscal year concluded.

The SMC reported that the 2015 endowment payout was equal to $1.06 billion, while the upcoming year’s is budgeted at $1.15 billion. In addition, the University’s Merged Pool (MP), Stanford’s principal investment pool, had a return of seven percent net of fees for the past year.

Over the last 10 years, the MP accounts for $3 billion of added value. The MP accounts for a majority of Stanford’s endowment, as well as providing funds for University-run programs like the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital and Stanford Health Care.

Increases in endowment allow Stanford to invest more into programs and education for both undergraduate and graduate students, said vice president for business affairs and chief financial officer Randy Livingston in a Stanford News article. This growth also allows the University to provide more funding and opportunities for research, as well as greater resources for financial aid.

Contact Sophie Stuber at sstuber8 ‘at’ stanford.edu.