Stanford vs. USC: Top three matchups

Stanford

Ronnie Harris, CB (Sr.)

Ronnie Harris will have his hands full against the Pac-12’s best offense through the first two weeks. Harris contributed to an absolutely dominant performance against UCF, as the secondary held the Black Knights to 142 yards through the air (with 96 of those coming in garbage time). Stanford’s top cornerback has 6 tackles and 3 pass breakups on the season.

Michael Rector, WR (Sr.)

To keep up with Heisman contender Cody Kessler, Stanford will need some big plays of its own in the passing game. Rector hauled in 4 catches for 86 yards last week against UCF, including a 53-yard touchdown reception. The speedy wideout will need to get open deep for the Cardinal to have a chance.

Solomon Thomas, DE/DT (So.)

Stanford’s top recruit in 2014 has made an immediate impact after redshirting his freshman season, with 10 tackles, including 2 for loss and a sack. Named to the All-Pac-12 preseason third team before even taking a snap, Thomas will look to keep the party in the backfield going at the LA Coliseum.

USC

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR (So.)

While Stanford shutdown Smith-Schuster last time the two teams met (1 catch for -2 yards), it will be a much stiffer challenge this time around. Cody Kessler’s top target has been electrifying so far this season, with 14 receptions for 281 yards (good for No. 3 in the country) and 3 TDs through two games.

Adoree’ Jackson, CB/WR/KR (So.)

Starting at cornerback as a true freshman last year, Adoree’ Jackson recorded 49 tackles, 10 pass deflections and a forced fumble — but that’s only on defense. He also saw time as a wideout and kick returner, where he accounted for 5 TDs. As a dark-horse Heisman candidate, expect Jackson to have an impact in all three facets of the game.

Max Tuerk, C (Sr.)

Tuerk, the Trojans’ most veteran offensive starter, anchors a strong offensive line for the Trojans. With 33 starts, a 2014 All-Pac-12 First Team selection and experience at every position on the line, Tuerk is projected among the top linemen in this year’s NFL Draft.

Contact Neel Ramachandran at neelr ‘at’ stanford.edu.