Outside Lands 2015: Friday – Leon Bridges, The Revivalists, Lindsey Stirling, Wolf Alice

After a Caltrain to Millbrae, a BART to Civic Center and a bus to the outskirts of Golden Gate Park, I finally made it to Outside Lands. Just getting there was an adventure. All of this public transportation was made easy by Catherine’s (Managing Editor of News) Clipper Card, a rechargeable card that works on all Bay Area transportation. It was very useful … until I lost it.

Anyway, the first thing I did when I got to the park was eat something. The lines only get longer as the day goes on and you can’t appreciate any sort of music on an empty stomach. (You’ll see some of my food photography on this blog later today.)

Then I went straight away to witness Speedy Ortiz, a little rock band from Massachusetts. They sound the same live as they do on Spotify.

Devin McKnight on Guitar. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Devin McKnight on Guitar. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Lead singer Sadie Dupuis. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Lead singer Sadie Dupuis. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
After Speedy Ortiz, I had to make it over to Leon Bridges to check out some classic soul sounds. He didn’t move much, his set was mellow. The tenor saxophonist Jeff Dazey, however, played some killer solos and stole the show. As soon as all of the photographers were kicked out of the photo pit (due to the three-song rule, Google it). Bridges continued the mellow tone and started to play “Pull Away” from his only recorded album “Coming Home.”
The man himself, Leon Bridges. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
The man himself, Leon Bridges. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Jeff Dazey stole the show. I guess that’s what happens when play a growling solo during the soundcheck. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Jeff Dazey stole the show. I guess that’s what happens when play a growling solo during the soundcheck. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Drummer Josh Block…I don’t think he liked my camera, he must shoot Canon. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Drummer Josh Block…I don’t think he liked my camera, he must shoot Canon. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Between Speedy Ortiz and Leon Bridges, I got to hear Lake Street Drive on the main stage. From what I could tell, they rocked, and I missed them. One of the things about music festivals is that sets overlap so you find yourself making tough decisions about which ones you see. Maybe my idea to focus on the less popular bands playing on the secondary stages was flawed. Maybe they’re not on the main stage for a reason—they’re just not very good. But then I saw The Revivalists.
The Revivalists are a seven-man rock group from New Orleans. They brought more energy to the stage than all of the other acts I saw combined. And the people of Outside Lands could tell as well. What started off as a handful of listeners grew and grew as their set went on and on. This is the one band I stayed to listen to after the 3 songs were up. I don’t think their recorded work does them justice, it doesn’t convey their tremendous energy and enthusiasm. Check out “Stand Up” on “Men Amongst Mountains.”
David Shaw on Vocals. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
David Shaw on vocals. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Zack Feinberg on guitar. If you’re thinking of becoming a guitarist, it helps if you have a nice looking guitar. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Zack Feinberg on guitar. If you’re thinking of becoming a guitarist, it helps if you have a nice looking guitar. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Ed Williams rocking out on the Pedal Steel Guitar. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Ed Williams rocking out on the pedal steel guitar. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
David Shaw getting a closer look at his audience. He really played to the audience, staying on the very edge of the stage, and even climbing up onto the barrier. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
David Shaw getting a closer look at his audience. He really played to the audience, staying on the very edge of the stage, and even climbing up onto the barrier. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Now to Lindsey Stirling. She jumps around a lot, shows off her flexibility, and plays a mean rocking electric violin. It would have been a great spectacle to capture on camera, except the stage was three times higher than a stage should be.
Violinist Lindsey Stirling. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Violinist Lindsey Stirling. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Stirling in front of her dancers. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Stirling in front of her dancers. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Last up was the four-piece rock group hailing from North London, Wolf Alice. I have a soft spot for British rock bands. Their lights were also really cool, and unlike most bands, they let me shoot more than their first three songs which is always a plus.
Lead singer Ellie Rowsell (foreground) and bassist Theo Ellis (background) or Wolf Alice. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Lead singer Ellie Rowsell (foreground) and bassist Theo Ellis (background) or Wolf Alice. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
For the most part Rowsell stays fairly low key on stage, but sometimes you just have to shout. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
For the most part Rowsell stays fairly low key on stage, but sometimes you just have to shout. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Ellis activates star power. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily
Ellis activates star power. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Drummer Joel Amey showing off his flow. He also knows his way around the drums. RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily.
Drummer Joel Amey showing off his flow. He also knows his way around the drums. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily.)
Stay tuned for more Outside Lands! I promise I’ll stay until the music ends this time.