Ike’s Place to come to Palo Alto

Popular sandwich shop Ike’s Place, which closed at the end of spring quarter last year amid student protests, is returning to the Stanford area.

In a post on the popular photo sharing app Instagram, Ike Shehadeh (the chain’s proprietor) announced that the popular eatery will be opening in Downtown Palo Alto at 401 Waverly Street. The post added that the restaurant will be at the intersection of Waverly Street and Lytton Avenue.

Ike Shehadeh, proprietor of Ike's Place, pictured in 2012 prior to the restaurant's closure in spring 2014. (KEVIN TSUKII/The Stanford Daily)
Ike Shehadeh, proprietor of Ike’s Place, pictured in 2012 prior to the restaurant’s closure in Spring 2014. (KEVIN TSUKII/The Stanford Daily)

Ike’s Place was previously located in the Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center. It closed last June amid controversy and student protests, after the bustling sandwich shop’s lease was not renewed by the Stanford Purchasing and Contracts office.

Ike’s Place was replaced by the Forbes Family Café, a Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE)-run café on Jan. 5 of this year. In addition to self-serve salad and entrée options, the Forbes Family Café has grab-and-go sandwiches, sushi, beverages, desserts and snacks like protein bars. The café also accepts the Stanford Card Plan, as well as meal plan dollars that are a part of most undergraduate meal plans.

Ike’s Place also placed a bid on a location in the basement of the newly-opened Lathrop library, but did not receive a bid for the location.

For a more detailed look at the events surrounding the closure of Ike’s Place, please look at The Daily’s timeline of events.

This post will be updated.

Contact Nitish Kulkarni at nitishk2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.