EAGLEBABEL’s “Odes” out now

Tyler "EAGLEBABEL" Brooks performing at the Anderson Collection in 2014. (BENJAMIN SORENSEN/The Stanford Daily)

The Daily is proud to host the debut mixtape of Stanford’s own EAGLEBABEL (senior Tyler Brooks), a rising hip-hop renaissance man and founding member of two premier student groups, The Outsiders and The Chicago Collective.

Tyler "EAGLEBABEL" Brooks performing at the Anderson Collection. (BENJAMIN SORENSEN/The Stanford Daily)
Tyler “EAGLEBABEL” Brooks performing at the Anderson Collection. (BENJAMIN SORENSEN/The Stanford Daily)

EAGLEBABEL’s first solo effort, “Odes,” is an unpredictable seven track tribute to his inspirations and idols, built from the ground up with original beats, hooks and verses. Brooks dedicates the tape “to Herbie Hancock, Marvin Gaye (via Luke James), Dom Kennedy, Jeremih, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Kendrick Lamar, my father and the city of Chicago — all who have played huge roles in my creative and personal life and whom I love very dearly.”

The absolute stand out is the soul-struck “Rap Like Dom,” produced by faruhdey (Chris Russ ’15) — a tribute to the West Coast with special thanks given to L.A. rapper Dom Kennedy. It’s a quintessential summer hit, with EAGLEBABEL’s up-tempo sing-song flow voicing gratitude over a sunny beat built for cruising with the roof down. Check it out.

You can contact Benjamin Sorensen at bcsoren ‘at’ stanford.edu.