Stanford students continue trend towards vegetarian foods

To the Editor:

Thank you for reporting on Stanford’s receipt of the award for Favorite Vegan-Friendly Large College. I’d like to congratulate Stanford Dining for offering the foods that more and more students are craving: healthful, cruelty-free and sustainable fare.

Over 11 percent of the Stanford undergraduate student body has now pledged to forgo meat on Mondays, opting instead for plant-based foods such as the dining halls’ delicious gardein stir-fry, lentil/bean dishes and veggie burritos. Like the new vegan meat, dairy and egg startups in Silicon Valley and elsewhere, these students recognize that foods derived from plants are the way of the future. Meatless foods require fewer resources and contain far less saturated fat and no cholesterol. Best of all, they take factory farming and animal cruelty out of the food chain entirely.

As the popularity of plant-based cuisine rises on campus and around the country, I hope Stanford Dining will continue to add even more vegan options to its already veg-friendly menus. Doing so will help more students cut back on meat and make the switch to a more compassionate way of eating.

If you want to join 825+ Stanford students by giving Meatless Monday a shot, check out the online signup.

David Kay ‘16

President, Stanford PAW (People for Animal Welfare)

Contact David Kay at dkay19 ‘at’ stanford.edu.