Patrick Skov to transfer to Georgia Tech

Senior fullback Patrick Skov announced Tuesday on Twitter that he will transfer to Georgia Tech to play out his fifth and final season of collegiate eligibility.

“I am humbled and deeply appreciative of my four unforgettable years at Stanford, while at the same time excited about the wonderful opportunities that await me at Georgia Tech,” said Skov in his statement.

After four successful years with Stanford, Patrick Skov has decided to take his last year of eligibility to Georgia Tech. (GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphotos.com)
After four successful years with Stanford, fullback Patrick Skov has decided to take his last year of eligibility to Georgia Tech. (GRANT SHORIN/stanfordphotos.com)

Skov departs after playing in 39 games over four seasons on the Farm and rushing for four touchdowns this past season as the team’s short-yardage back. He also returned a few kickoffs during his sophomore year. He spent most of his time backing up Ryan Hewitt and Lee Ward at the fullback position.

Because Skov will earn his bachelor’s degree in international relations from Stanford this spring and has been accepted to the MBA program at Georgia Tech, he will be eligible to play for the Yellow Jackets immediately under the graduate transfer rule.

“My love for Stanford will always run deep,” Skov wrote. “At the same time, the Georgia Tech football team offers me a unique opportunity. I relish the chance to join the Yellow Jackets in their ongoing pursuit of the ACC Championship.”

Skov will likely fit into Georgia Tech’s effectively run-exclusive triple-option offense as a heavier running back and will look to see significant action, as the Yellow Jackets frequently rotate up to four running backs in a game.

Skov is the Cardinal’s third graduate transfer from the program his offseason, following in the footsteps of Kevin Reihner (Penn State) and Wayne Lyons (Michigan). Stanford has also gained a graduate transfer this offseason in Brennan Scarlett (Cal).

The only fullbacks remaining on Stanford’s 2015-16 roster are sophomore Daniel Marx, who is expected to be the starter at the position, and senior Chris Harrell. Newly committed freshman Reagan Williams will also join the team for fall training camp.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dhpark ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.