Women’s lacrosse upset by Cornell in stunning home loss

In a tough game on Tuesday night, the No. 13 Stanford women’s lacrosse team (5-2) was dealt its second loss of the season, getting upset by an unranked Cornell team by a score of 15-7. Cornell converted more of its opportunities at goal than the Cardinal, and this eight-goal margin was the biggest loss for Stanford since the team’s 2012 season opener against then-No. 1 Northwestern.

Senior midfielder Hannah Farr contributed 3 goals to the Cardinal effort against Cornell, but it ultimately wasn't enough as Stanford was upset by a score of 15-7. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)
Senior midfielder Hannah Farr contributed 3 goals to the Cardinal effort against Cornell, but it ultimately wasn’t enough as Stanford was upset by a score of 15-7. (BOB DREBIN/isiphoto.com)

The Cardinal gave up the first five goals, and it was only with about nine minutes left in the first half that they were able to score a goal, when senior attacker Kyle Fraser broke the scoring drought.

The Cardinal offense got as close as 7-5 late in the first half after a goal by senior attacker Hannah Farr, who scored three in total on the night. Freshman midfielder Kelly Myers, junior midfielder Lucy Dikeou and fifth-year senior attacker Rachel Ozer — who had just won honors as the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Offensive Player of the Week for her performance in Stanford’s east coast trip last week — each scored one apiece.

However, Cornell ran away with the game after five unanswered goals put it ahead 12-5, marking the first time Stanford trailed by more than two goals all season. The Cardinal ultimately were unable to come back from a seven point deficit and could not avoid the upset.

Stanford next will look to return to form as it takes on two-time defending MPSF champ Denver on the road Friday and then travels to Colorado to complete the two-game conference trip.

Contact Kristina Bassi at kbassi ‘at’ stanford.edu.