Morris called up to USMNT for match against Switzerland

Stanford sophomore and budding soccer sensation Jordan Morris has earned his third call-up to the U.S. Men’s National Team (USMNT) and could see action in the team’s upcoming matchup against the Swiss national team.

U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann added the 20-year-old forward to the roster on Sunday after it was determined that forward Aron Johannsson would not be able to participate in the match at Switzerland due to his continuing recovery from an infection.

fddfa
Jordan Morris (above) has been called up to the U.S. Men’s National Team for the team’s upcoming game against Switzerland. The sophomore was first called up to the team in September and later saw action in November against Ireland. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Morris was first called up to the squad in September 2014 for the team’s friendly against the Czech Republic, becoming the first active collegian in 15 years to receive a spot in the USMNT. After that, he earned a cap in a November call-up against Ireland, coming on in the 76th minute and becoming the first active collegian to see action for the USMNT since 1995.

The call-up comes on the heel of another solid performance from the Stanford star, who knocked in the opening goal for the U.S. under-23 squad in a 5-2 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Morris, who has announced his intention to forgo an opportunity to play with the Seattle Sounders F.C. and instead remain at Stanford for his junior season in 2015, is one of just three forwards listed on the U.S. roster alongside Jozy Altidore and Rubio Rubin.

The U.S. will take on Switzerland in Zurich at 9 a.m. PT on Tuesday. The match will be broadcasted on Fox Sports 1.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is now the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily. He's also a Bay Area-based freelance sportswriter. He previously covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season. He covered the 2016 Minnesota Twins for MLB.com and has also contributed to The Bootleg and SI's (now defunct) Campus Rush. Hire him at dpark0027 'at' gmail.com or send him snarky Tweets @dohyoungpark.