Women’s lacrosse takes down Vanderbilt to remain undefeated

The Stanford women’s lacrosse team defeated Vanderbilt on Sunday by a score of 22-11, remaining undefeated entering the two-week break.

Freshman midfielder Kelly Myers had a breakout game, setting a school record with 10 draw controls — she previously had six draw controls on the season entering the game. She broke the 2013 mark set by Megan Lerner versus San Diego State.

THE STANFORD DAILY
After a series of increasingly strong performances, freshman Kelly Myers (above) truly broke out against Vanderbilt, winning a school record 10 draws and scoring two goals as the Cardinal earned a 22-11 victory. JOHN TODD/Stanford Photo

Overall, Myers’ performance and draw controls helped the Cardinal to a 28-7 advantage in draws. However, Myers was not alone. Her classmate, freshman midfielder Maggie Nick, contributed five draws, an impressive total in its own right.

After losing the draw control battles in their pair of 12-10 victories over Notre Dame and Ohio State, draw controls have become a point of focus for the Cardinal. Vanderbilt entered the game ranked fourth in the nation in draws per game. Stanford showed vast improvement and motivation as it dominated the Commodores in draws.

Offensively, junior midfielder Lucy Dikeou, scored a career-high six goals, tying her for second in the Stanford history in goals in a game. Sophomore attacker Kelsey Murray supplemented this attack with four goals and three assists of her own. With these marks, Murray extended her goal-scoring streak to six games and her points streak to 18. Overall, she leads the team in goals with 15 and points with 24.

Stanford led the entire game and had several players contribute to the goal-scoring campaign. Myers, sophomore attacker Elizabeth Cusick, fifth-year senior attacker Rachel Ozer, junior attacker Alexandra Crerend and senior attacker Kyle Fraser all had two goals apiece. This diversified attack was very difficult for the Commodores to control, and as a result Stanford outshot Vanderbilt, 39-17.

The Cardinal returns to play on Mar. 24 with their third consecutive road game against No. 9 Penn State. On Mar. 27 the Cardinal will finish up their road trip at Harvard. They finally return to the Farm on Mar. 31 when they take on Cornell.

Contact Kristina Bassi at kbassi ‘at’ stanford.edu.