‘Simpsons’ producer Sam Simon ’77 dies at 59

(SAM SIMON/The Stanford Daily)
(SAM SIMON/The Stanford Daily)

Sam Simon ’77, a cartoonist who played a major role in creating “The Simpsons,” passed away at his home in Pacific Palisades, California, on March 8 after a long battle with colon cancer. He was 59.

Simon attended Beverly Hills High School and graduated from Stanford with a degree in psychology. Simon was recruited to play for the Stanford football team but quit after his first day of practice. In his time on campus, Simon also worked as a cartoonist for The Daily.

Simon began working on “The Simpsons” with cartoonist Matt Groening in the late 1980s. He served as creative supervisor for four seasons and won nine Primetime Emmy Awards for his work.

In 2009 he told Stanford Magazine in an interview that he was surprised with the show’s reception.

“I thought some people would like some aspects of [“The Simpsons”], but I wasn’t sure how many would come along for the full ride,” Simon said. “It turned out I was incredibly wrong. Homer is now the prototype for every male lead on a comedy show.”

Though Simon did not leave “The Simpsons” production staff on amicable terms, his input was so integral in shaping the series that he retained his title as executive producer. Simon also received royalties for all future home video sales. “The Simpsons” has run for 568 episodes and is the longest running sitcom in television history.

After departing from “The Simpsons,” Simon donated over $100 million to animal rights charities and founded the Sam Simon Foundation. The Sam Simon Foundation started a program in 2011 to provide vegan meals to low-income families.

Contact Alexandra Nguyen-Phuc at amn17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexandra Nguyen-Phuc ‘18 is a news deputy desk editor and former staff writer. A freshman from Los Angeles, California, she wants to learn more about urban studies, economics and food system sustainability in her time at Stanford. Contact her at nguyenphuc ‘at’ stanford.edu.