Baseball starts series against Texas with win

Behind a huge performance at the plate from freshman Mikey Diekroeger, Stanford’s baseball team squeaked out a win in its series opener against Texas on Thursday, 5-4.

Junior reliever Logan James (above) closed out Stanford's 5-4 win on Thursday night, but not without a little drama in the top of the ninth inning. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)
Junior reliever Logan James (above) closed out Stanford’s 5-4 win on Thursday night, but not without a little drama in the top of the ninth inning. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

Diekroeger went 2-for-3 and drove in four runs in the game, including a RBI ground-rule double in the second inning and a three-run homer in the third that gave the Cardinal a lead that they would not surrender.  Freshman Keith Weisenberg made his second start of the season and allowed three runs over four innings.

Stanford’s bullpen held Texas’ potent lineup in check after coming on in relief of Weisenberg — only closer Logan James allowed a run to score in the ninth. The Longhorns got the tying run to third base in the game’s final frame, but James got Texas’ Taylor Stell to line out to second base.

Contact Jordan Wallach at jwallach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jordan Wallach is a Senior Staff Writer at The Stanford Daily. He was previously the Managing Editor of Sports, a sports desk editor for two volumes and he continues to work as a beat writer for Stanford's baseball, football and women's volleyball teams. Jordan is a junior from New York City majoring in Mathematical and Computational Science. To contact him, please send him an email at jwallach 'at' stanford.edu.