Revisiting Stanford’s history of Greek housing suspensions and appeals

In the wake of Sigma Alpha Epsilon losing an appeal of the University’s decision to revoke its housing, The Daily took a look at the recent history of fraternity evictions.

Delta Tau Delta

In 1995, fraternity Delta Tau Delta lost its housing. Dean of Students Marc Lee Wais cited three reasons for the decision: Delta Tau Delta’s significant debts to the University, behavioral problems and management issues.

“The circumstances dictated this decision,” Wais said. “Over the years, they have been notified formally in writing to remedy the problems. They simply haven’t been able to do that.”

Only weeks after this was announced, it was declared that Delta Tau Delta would be given a second chance, and the University re-examined its decision to strip the fraternity of its housing. Fraternity members also submitted a 10-page document that responded to the debt issues and outlined a management plan that would “ensure sound, effective management of the house.” Wais met with fraternity members and allowed them to respond to the allegations against them.

“By the time the meeting concluded there was some debate as to the facts that we made our decision on,” Wais said. “I thought it was fair to the fraternity… that they should be given the opportunity to provide the complete and accurate information.”

A week later, Wais did ultimately decide to evict Delta Tau Delta from its housing. Allowing the fraternity to appeal made this an unusual case at the time, as other fraternities were not allowed appeals.

Theta Xi

Theta Xi lost its housing in spring of 1998 for not being able to meet the “100-percent rule.” A new rule put in place just that year, this stipulation required any housed chapter to have a large enough membership to completely fill its house. Theta Xi was not able to do so and was evicted from its housing.

“It is my belief that we have done everything possible to have Taxi [Theta Xi] successfully meet the minimum residency requirement,” Wais said.

Fraternity members did not agree and protested this decision.

“We didn’t feel we had any options, but several [fraternity] meetings later, we came to the group consensus that we were being screwed, and we deserved another chance,” explained fraternity president Jeff McCarty ’98.

The fraternity was four members short of meeting the 29-member housing requirement, and it claimed it deserved a short extension to meet the requirement.

“We feel if we had some more time, we could line up four or five more people to live in the house next year,” McCarty said.

Fraternity members asked Wais for 48 hours to get new pledges. After meeting with fraternity members and the Office of Student Activities, Residential Education and Housing Assignment Services, Wais decided not to grant the fraternity an extension, claiming that the fraternity had not been able to meet the requirement for three years.

“We’ve been really accommodating for three years running,” Wais explained. “I can’t assume responsibility for their inability to generate and maintain membership.”

Theta Xi was the longest-running housed fraternity on Stanford, living in the same house since 1914. 717 Dolores, the former fraternity housing, is now a self-op.

Phi Delta Theta

In fall of 1998, Phi Delta Theta was evicted shortly after an intoxicated member of the fraternity was injured after falling from a balcony to the concrete below. The fraternity had already been on a one-year probation from alcohol-related functions at the house after a Phi Delt pledge was seriously injured in an alcohol-related incident on a weekend retreat.

“The event brought to light the fact that the Phi Delts did not follow the stipulations that had been laid out for them,” said then-co-chair of the Greek Judicial Board Brian Pilko ’99.

The stipulations of the probation stated that the fraternity was on its last strike in terms of breaking the terms of the probation.

Former University President Gerhard Casper approved of the decision, noting the sadness of the incident at a Faculty Senate meeting.

“The University will not tolerate such disregard when lives are at stake,” he said, adding, “This is not a fraternity issue only.”

The house reopened a year later as 680 Lomita, a self-op.

Delta Kappa Epsilon

In 1999, Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) lost their housing for failing to meet a number of requirements. They could not fulfil the membership requirements, did not meet the June deadline for paying financial obligations and failed to submit financial reports.

“DKE was given an extension of the deadline to submit their final roster after Rush… no other chapter was given such an extension,” said Wais. “They understood what was expected, and we are enforcing those guidelines. I’m disappointed with this outcome.”

Dean of Students Morris Graves stressed that guaranteed housing is a “privilege, not a right” and that Greek organizations “must comply by certain guidelines” to retain that privilege.

The former DKE house, at 592 Mayfield, is now housed by Phi Kappa Psi.

Kappa Sigma

Kappa Sigma was stripped of its housing in 2011 following two violations of its probation.

“The house has had patterns of behavior that go beyond what I would call shenanigans… to a level that was dangerous,” said Deborah Golder, dean of Residential Education (ResEd).

The University refrained from instituting the standard four-year suspension and instead offered a one-year hiatus as an indication that Golder believed Kappa Sigma had potential. The fraternity lost an appeal of the decision.

The residence was converted into a traditional Row house for the following year before Kappa Sigma regained housing privileges in fall of 2012.

The fraternity had divided itself into 11 groups focusing on improving a different facet of fraternal life. With this “divide and conquer” approach by Kappa Sigma, Golder saw true progress.

“We were very impressed with the amount of work they’ve done and want to show good faith in their projected trajectory,” Golder said. “We were really looking for a profound shift in attitude and culture.”

Contact Tristan Vanech at tvanech ’at’ stanford.edu and Jeremy Quach at jquach ’at’ stanford.edu.

Tristan Vanech is a sports managing editor and former news desk editor on the campus life beat. A Symbolic Systems major from Venice, CA, Tristan loves playing basketball and football. His most notable accomplishment at The Daily is leading its flag football team as quarterback to break a three-year drought in the annual Ink Bowl against the Daily Cal. Ball is life. Email him at [email protected].