Wrestlers sweep weekend duals over Cal Poly, Air Force

Cardinal wrestling had a successful weekend with Sunday wins over conference foe Cal Poly (1-10, 0-1 Pac-12) and non-conference opponent Air Force (4-3, 0-1 WWC). With the victories, Stanford improved to 7-2 overall and 2-1 in conference play.

Six of Stanford’s 10 wrestlers in the starting lineup won both of their bouts on the day, with sophomore heavyweight Nathan Butler having a particularly impressive showing, posting a 9-0 major decision over Nicolas Johnson of Cal Poly before bringing down Marcus Malecek of Air Force in a 6-1 decision.

(RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)
Sophomore Connor Schram (right) has stepped up to fill the shoes of departed senior Ryan Mango more than adequately, as he has contributed a 7-1 record in duals so far. He won both of his bouts last Sunday against opponents from Cal Poly and Air Force. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily)

Butler improved to 24-6 overall this season and has the highest win total on the team. He has started at heavyweight in all of the Cardinal’s duals this season apart from the team’s loss at No. 8 Oregon State.

Junior Jim Wilson at 165 and sophomore Connor Schram at 133 also had superb days and easily coasted to victories in each of their bouts. With his wins, Wilson stretched his winning streak to five bouts, tops on the team. Wilson, the 14th-ranked wrestler in his weight class in the country, currently has the highest win percentage on the team with his 23-4 overall record.

Butler, Wilson and Schram improved their dual records to 7-1, 7-1 and 8-1, respectively, which are all best on the team. Schram has been particularly impressive as the every-meet starter at 133 this season after the departure of the storied Ryan Mango ’14, the team’s key cog at 133, from the program at the end of last season.

Stanford will next take on Arizona State on Sunday in the team’s final dual meet at Maples of the season. The meet will begin at 11 a.m. and will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.