Stanford to host White House cybersecurity summit

In a statement on Jan. 13, the Office of the Press Secretary at the White House announced that Stanford University will host the Summit on Cybersecurity and Consumer Protection less than a month from today.

The summit will be on Feb. 13 of this year and will gather major stakeholders on consumer financial protection issues and cybersecurity to discuss issues including increasing public-private partnerships and cybersecurity information sharing, developing secure payment technologies and promoting improved cybersecurity policies.

The White House announced in the statement that the summit would be attended by senior White House and federal government leaders, as well as CEOs from industries including technology and communications, computer security, financial services and retail. Attendees will also include consumer advocates, experts and students.

The Summit is in connection with the Stanford Cyber Initiative, which the University announced in November of last year. The initiative, funded with a $15 million grant from the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, aims to bring Stanford’s history of multidisciplinary initiatives to research in the areas of trustworthiness, governance and the impacts of technological change, according to a statement on the initiative from Stanford News.

“Stanford has tremendous depth in the information security field, which is playing a deepening role in every facet of our lives,” said Stanford Law School professor George Triantis to Stanford News. Triantis currently chairs the Cyber Initiative. “Stanford’s new Cyber Initiative was started for the purpose of bringing experts from a wide swath of disciplines – including computer science, law, engineering, the social sciences and education – together in order to focus on this important topic and related issues.”

Contact Nitish Kulkarni at nitishk2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.