Cloudy tap water on campus explained

After students raised concerns about tap water that had a “milky appearance,” administration from R&DE Student Housing reported that the water on campus remains safe to drink.

In an email to students in east campus residences, R&DE explained that they had contacted Stanford’s water provider as to the cause of this cloudy water. Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE), which provides water to campus, clarified that the unexpected change in appearance was due to a water main break. Increased volumes of water can cause air to become entrapped, they explained, which affects the opacity of the water.

The email reassured that “water quality is monitored on a daily basis and continues to comply with all regulatory standards.” Though the water is safe to drink, to remove the milky appearance, the email suggested that people should just let the water stand for approximately 30 seconds.

Contact Alex Zivkovic at aleksa ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alex Zivkovic is a Desk Editor for the news section who likes to cover stories on academics and student activism on campus. Alex is a sophomore studying Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity with an interest in representation of gender in literature and visual art. He is from Irvine, California. To contact Alex, email him at aleksa ‘at’ stanford.edu.