Rice not a candidate for UT Austin presidency

Condoleezza Rice (left) and the rest of the College Football Playoff selection committee would be hard-pressed to choose between No. 4 Michigan State and No. 5 Stanford if the new postseason system was in place this year. (DANI VERNON/StanfordPhoto.com)

Stanford professor Condoleezza Rice has denied that she is a candidate for the presidency of The University of Texas at Austin. Speculation arose in recent days that Rice was the frontrunner for this post.

Rice, who previously served as Provost of Stanford, wrote in an email, “I am not a candidate for the Presidency of UT Austin.  It is a fine university but I am a happy Stanford professor and will continue that work.”

UT Austin’s current president, William Powers, will leave that office at the end of the current school year, after a high-profile dispute with the University of Texas chancellor and Board of Regents.

UT Austin officials have also denied that there are any frontrunners for the position at this time.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia

Michael Gioia

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.