Big storm predicted to hit Stanford Thursday

According to the National Weather Service, a storm will deliver between 1.5 and 2.75 inches of rain tomorrow and will also feature gusts up to 37 miles per hour. There is a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow as well. The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning starting 10:00 p.m. tonight for the following 24 hours and a flash flood watch from 9:00 p.m. tonight until 4:00 a.m. Friday. Strong winds of up to 41 miles per hour are expect tonight, along with rain. The storm is forecasted to continue to deliver rain on Friday, but rainfall Friday should be below a quarter of an inch and winds should only top off around 5 miles per hour.

Lisa Lapin, associate vice president for University Communications, said in a statement that “[t]he University has its own power generation facility on campus, which makes a storm or wind-related power outage unlikely.”

Lapin added that “[i]n the unlikely event of a power outage or flooding, the Registrar’s office would coordinate reassigning classroom locations and communicate with faculty about alternate locations… In all cases, students would be advised to contact their faculty for location direction.”

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.