DOE cites Stanford for violations of worker safety and health regulations

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) cited Stanford late last month for four violations of worker safety and health regulations. The DOE issued the Preliminary Notice of Violation in response to laser and energetic beam events that took place at SLAC National Laboratory between May 25, 2011 and Feb. 28, 2013.

In a public letter to SLAC director Chi-Chang Kao, director of the DOE’s Office of Enforcement Steven Simonson wrote that, “at least one of the incidents could have resulted in ocular injury.”

“DOE’s evaluation of the circumstances concluded that SLAC did not fully implement worker safety and health program provisions related to hazard identification and assessment; hazard prevention and abatement; training and information; and occupational medicine,” Simonson continued.

Because the DOE already reduced a 2013 contract with SLAC by $250,000 in response to these safety concerns, Stanford currently does not face the prospect of further fines.

The DOE also acknowledged SLAC’s response to the events in question. Simonson wrote that SLAC’s action plan “appears to adequately address the violations cited.”

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.