Ashton Carter expected to receive nomination for Secretary of Defense

According to an anonymous source, Ashton Carter is to be nominated by President Obama as Secretary of Defense. Carter, a Senior Visiting Fellow at the Hoover Institution and lecturer at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, would succeed Chuck Hagel, who resigned under pressure last week.

If nominated, Carter would have to be confirmed by the Senate before becoming Secretary. Although a Democrat, Carter is seen as more appealing to Senate Republicans than other potential nominees.

Carter previously served as Deputy Secretary of Defense from 2011 to 2013. Carter also served as Assistant Secretary of Defense in the Clinton Administration.

Carter would face an array of challenges as Secretary. In addition to worries about the threat posed by ISIS and other terrorist groups, the next Secretary of Defense will lead the Pentagon as it confronts additional potential sequestration budget cuts. The Secretary would also have to contend with Russia in the face of continued tensions in Ukraine.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.