Body found in San Francisco Bay thought to be missing alum Dan Ha

The family of Dan Ha ’10 held a press conference earlier today to announce that the recent Stanford alum and iOS developer is believed to be dead.

Ha went missing on the evening of Oct. 31 from San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood. Yesterday, the Coast Guard recovered a body that the family believes is Ha’s from the San Francisco Bay near Pier 22. While the San Francisco Medical Examiners Office has not confirmed the body’s identity, the clothes, wallet contents and phone found on the body match those of Ha.

Investigators think that the person found had been dead for about a week, and the San Francisco Police have made no statement suggesting foul play at this time.

In a statement to the press, Joseph Ha, Dan’s younger brother, said that the family was “overwhelmed by the love and prayers of our friends and family back home and here in San Francisco, and are grateful for the support we’ve received from the local community,” including Stanford.

“Dan was a talented and inspirational brother, son and friend with a huge heart and brilliant mind who touched the lives of so many people,” Joseph Ha said. “He truly loved life and lived it to the fullest.”

Dan Ha was a member of the founding team of StartX at Stanford.

“Dan loved ideas,” said Nina Khosla ’10, a classmate of Ha’s, at a press conference. “He loved beautiful ideas, crazy ideas, bad ideas, good ideas…to see him do something so huge for the Stanford community was amazing.”

“I know he touched everyone he met,” Khosla added.

Ha’s family will holding a memorial service for Dan this Friday at 7:30 p.m. at St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, located at the intersection of 16th Street and Dolores Street in San Francisco.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.