Gas line break near Old Chem building resolved

At approximately 8:49 a.m. this morning authorities responded to a gas line break near Roth Way and the Old Chemistry Building on Lomita Drive, according to an email sent out by AlertSU.

The Keck Science Building, Herrin Labs and Herrin Hall were temporarily evacuated. Individuals were advised to remain away from the area. According to the SUDPS website, Math 113 (2:15-3:30 p.m.) and Math 42A (1:15-3:05 p.m.) were relocated due to the evacuation.

A second alert was sent at 2:16 p.m., indicating the situation had been resolved and all buildings had been reopened.

Previously this year, there were gas line breaks near the same intersection on Aug. 18, at Comstock Circle and Escondido Drive on June 9 and at the Arrillaga Family Sports Center on April 29.

Laura Goldstein, director of the Department of Project Management, acknowledged that with construction projects involving excavation there is a risk of disruption to underground utility service.

“There has been an increase in construction activity lately, particularly utility work, which of course, increases the risk of these disruptions,” Goldstein wrote, in an email to The Daily.

However, according to Goldstein, none of these gas line breaks have been related to the SESI project. As of August, the project has completed 21 of the 22 miles of underground pipe, encountering hundreds of utility crossings, with very few impacts to existing utility service.

Goldstein also suggested that the apparent increase in gas line breaks could be related to the responsiveness of an updated campus alert system.

“I don’t think there is an increase in utility service disruptions lately, I do think with the new alert system, everyone is much more informed about issues when they do occur,” Goldstein said.

Contact Sam Premutico at samprem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sam Premutico ’18 is a staff writer covering University and local news. A freshman from Brooklyn, New York, Sam has a wide range of academic interests, including biology and philosophy. When not in class or writing for The Daily, Sam enjoys solving crossword puzzles and playing for the Stanford Men’s Squash team. To contact Sam, email him at samprem ‘at’ stanford.edu.