Faculty Senate to discuss results of comprehensive judicial process review

The results of a four-year review of Stanford’s Judicial Affairs process will be released at the Faculty Senate meeting Thursday, Nov. 6.

The document marks the first official comprehensive review of the Judicial Affairs process since the Student Judicial Charter was produced in 1997. It is a compilation of research and recommendations concerning Stanford’s Judicial Review Process and takes a close look at the effectiveness of the Honor Code and Fundamental Standard.

In addition to addressing how well faculty and students understand and live by the principles in the Honor Code and Fundamental Standard, the review contains specific recommendations, including plans to reduce cheating by raising student responsibility as well as suggestions for changes to be made in dealing with sexual assault cases.

The project that produced these studies started in 2010 at the direction of President John Hennessy and Vice Provost for Student Affairs Greg Boardman.

The review is made up of three parts: an assessment made by an specially appointed Internal Review Panel made up of students, faculty and staff, a report from an outside consultant, and an Office of Judicial Affairs self study.

According to the Faculty Senate meeting agenda, Eamonn Callan, Board of Judicial Affairs chair, and Susan Fleischmann, Director of the Office of Community Standards, will present the material and lead a discussion on these topics at the Nov. 6 Faculty Senate meeting.

Contact Erica Evans at elevans ‘at’ stanford.edu.