Why You Should Be Going To Music Festivals With Your Parents

I just attended a music festival in Austin, Texas called Austin City Limits — with my parents. When I tell people that I go to music festivals with my parents and younger brother relatively frequently, I wonder if I am creating and incorrect impression of our lifestyles. Do people believe that we are a family of bohemian vagabonds or perhaps a traveling family band?  Neither of these things is true. My parents just like music and music festivals, and they like hanging out with their kids. They have been bringing us to “fests” since we were in elementary school, so my first experiences with music festivals were as an 11 year old embarrassed by her elderly companions. But as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to realize that going to music festivals with your family is so, so much better than going with your friends.

Here’s why:

1. Parents might pay for things: Fest food is expensive, as is transportation. Your parents will be so excited to be sharing this experience with you that they might foot the bill. Additionally, they will likely pay extra to ensure comfort i.e. you won’t have to walk miles to get to the festival, and you won’t have to stay in a hotel in which the carbon monoxide alarm goes off every time you take a shower.
  2. Parents don’t care about being cool: A big part about going to music festivals for teenagers seems to be looking cool. Youths believe that the right outfit (which apparently has been universally decided to involve a daisy headband) (I was not consulted on this issue) is paramount to music fest success. Well you know what parents find paramount for music festival success? Comfort. And I’m right there with them. You will find me sitting in my lawn chair with my parents wearing Chacos and a baseball cap along with the loosest clothing possible. I will not look cool, but I will be comfortable.
  3. Parents care about the music: Parents go to music festivals to listen to some great live music, not to get drunk and party with their friends. They can do that whenever they want. When you’re with your parents you can pay attention to the music without worrying about how hard you’re going to rage later. Music is actually much better sober.
  4. Parents get tired: When my parents and I go to a fest we come early, leave early and go out to dinner. With parents there is no competition for who goes the hardest and who can stay energized the longest. They are parents. They know they don’t go hard. And I am perfectly happy to not go hard with them.