Football: Back and Forth with The Daily

In advance of No. 16 Stanford’s contest in Seattle against Washington on Saturday, The Stanford Daily’s Winston Shi talked with The Daily’s sports editor Daniel Rubens to preview the game.

Winston Shi (WS): UW has had some uneven games and initially close scores to begin the season. What’s going on, and do you think the same issues (if any) will carry over to the Stanford game?

Daniel Rubens (DR): I think it’s a case of the team still getting used to the new coaching staff, combined with the fact that there haven’t really been any major tests on the schedule. The Huskies have struggled to get up for these games so far, and it’s showed in their play. But there are a few logical explanations. Quarter back Cyler Miles was suspended for the opener, and the offense improved with him back. The defense looked bad against Eastern Washington, but they might be the best team in the FCS. And they came out flat against Georgia State last week. I doubt they come out flat against Stanford.

WS: What was the reaction to Steve Sarkisian’s departure and Chris Petersen’s arrival? What has Petersen been doing that is different? Where do you see the future of UW football going forward under Petersen?

DR: The general reaction was overwhelmingly positive. There was a sense that Sarkisian always had his own agenda, and he failed to live up to the expected improvements. Fans’ suspicions of the coach were confirmed when he left. But Petersen’s appointment was immediately met with joyous optimism. He has a proven track record with Boise State, and he gets people excited. So far, it seems like the new staff is stricter discipline-wise, and while that has yet to carry over on the field, the feeling is that it will eventually. Once Petersen gets his systems implemented and his players in place, look out.

WS: Cyler Miles was highly touted coming into his first season as the UW starter. His stats look pretty efficient, but he had an up-and-down offseason, and he’s still a first-year starter. Is he the difference-maker that people thought he would be?

DR: When he uses all of his abilities, yes. Miles is a dangerous runner as he showed especially against Eastern Washington, and an efficient passer. His legs force defenses to keep an eye on the backfield, and when he uses that to his advantage, he can exploit teams with his arm. His throws are still a bit erratic, and he needs to develop consistency. But if he can do those things, the sky is the limit for Miles.

WS: What are the strengths of UW’s defense? What positional matchups can the Huskies exploit against the Stanford offense?

DR: The strengths lie in the front seven, especially on the defensive line. The Huskies are tied for the national lead in sacks with 19, and most of those come from the veterans up front. All three (or four—more on that in a second) of the UW’s down linemen are seniors, with defensive tackle Danny Shelton leading the nation in sacks and Andrew and Evan Hudson (no relation) also creating problems. But where the Huskies can really exploit the Cardinal is through Hau’oli Kikaha, who has been playing a role termed “Buc Backer,” which is essentially a hybrid lineman/linebacker position. He gets to the quarterback often, is improving in coverage and could be the difference in the game.

WS: Do you have a prediction for the game? What do the Huskies need to do to beat the Cardinal, and the other way around?

DR: I realize that my answers so far seem fairly optimistic. And I’m genuinely optimistic about this program moving forward, especially with Petersen at the helm. That being said, I just think Stanford’s experience on both the offensive and defensive lines will win out. But if the Huskies can effectively neutralize Ty Montgomery and find a way to move the ball on the ground against Stanford’s front seven, they will have a good shot at knocking off the Cardinal again in Seattle.

Contact Winston Shi at wshi94 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Winston Shi was the Managing Editor of Opinions for Volume 245 (February-June 2014). He also served as an opinions and sports columnist, a senior staff writer, and a member of the Editorial Board. A native of Thousand Oaks, California (the one place on the planet with better weather than Stanford), he graduated from Stanford in June 2016 with bachelor's and master's degrees in history. He is currently attending law school, where he preaches the greatness of Stanford football to anybody who will listen, and other people who won't.