Football predictions: Stanford vs. USC

No. 13 Stanford (1-0, 0-0 Pac-12) vs. No. 14 USC (1-0, 0-0 Pac-12)

Michael Peterson: Stanford 27, USC 23

Even though I suggested that the Cardinal would go 11-1 with only a loss to Oregon in my preseason predictions, I’ll admit, I was extremely close to picking USC here. The Trojans’ offense looked scary good in week one, albeit against Fresno State, and Cody Kessler played like an elite quarterback. Pair that offense with a stout defensive line and Stanford’s seeming inability to run the ball up the middle, as it appeared against UC-Davis, and Stanford will have a serious challenge overcoming the Trojans. However, Stanford’s passing game will be the driving force behind the offense and the Cardinal’s defense will slow down the up-tempo Trojans, much like it did against Oregon for the past two years, just enough to pull out the narrow victory. This game – one way or another – will be a defining moment of Kevin Hogan’s career.

Ashley Westhem: Stanford 24, USC 17

After the stomping that USC put down on Fresno state and the stellar stats from quarterback Cody Kessler and running back Javorius Allen, it won’t be an easy win for the Card and if this game were at the Coliseum, I might pick USC. Stanford, though, demonstrated too much discipline and readiness against UC-Davis to give up the first USC win on the Farm since 2008. Cardinal defensive backs match up well with Trojan wide receivers. Stanford’s wide receivers are so versatile and have such a wide range of skills and abilities that if Hogan can connect with them and they can pick up some yardage on the ground, it’s going to be hard to stop the Cardinal offense. My guess is that Ty Montgomery will have a kickoff or punt return for a touchdown in the first half, Hogan will get off to a shaky start with memories of the disaster at the Coliseum last year lording over him and the score will be tight headed into halftime. Ultimately though, Hogan will pull the offense together, the defense will continue to give the Trojan offense a tough time and Jordan Williamson will have another huge field goal in the second half, all of which will spell a narrow but definitive victory for the Card at home.

Do-Hyoung Park:USC 31, Stanford 21

Before the season started, I had Stanford winning a nail-biter in this one. But boy, did USC’s offense look scary in that week one tilt against Fresno State. Cody Kessler has certainly been eating his Wheaties, and although Michael seems confident that Stanford’s defense can limit the damage, I’m a lot less sure. The fact of the matter is, USC probably has the most talented starting corps in the conference in the trenches and Stanford just hasn’t faced an offense with that combination of pace (I mean, 105 plays. Come on.) and brute physicality. Couple this with the fact that Stanford is down two linebackers this week, meaning that the rotation will face a lot more stress. I also wasn’t completely sold on the offensive line last week, and I’m worried that the Leonard Williams-led front seven will have its way against the Cardinal run game and rush Hogan into bad decisions when he needs to rely more on his arm. We all know what happens when Hogan makes bad decisions. I have a bad feeling about this game, even at home, especially since we’re still two weeks removed from students moving in and USC will certainly travel well.

Winston Shi: Stanford 28, USC 21

A tip of the cap to USC’s training staff: The Trojans have never been truly crushed by injuries, as many predicted when NCAA scholarship limits hit. But as we learned in 2012, when USC brought a third-string center and the No. 2 team in the country to Stanford Stadium but got buried by the Cardinal pass rush, it only takes one position to get hit hard for a team to have a bad day. Superstar defensive lineman Leonard Williams will most likely be ready for the game, but four USC offensive linemen are injured (although I expect that at least three will play), quarterback Cody Kessler is recovering from a staph infection in his foot, tailback Tre Madden missed the season opener against Fresno State and cornerback Josh Shaw’s clearly out of commission. You can never count the Trojans out, but Stanford’s playing in friendly confines, and I have to think that the Cardinal have the edge.

George Chen: USC 27, Stanford 24

I’ve been going back and forth on this game all week. Say what you want about Steve Sarkisian, but the guy has come up with great game plans against Stanford in the last two years. Combine that with the more talented personnel he now has at USC, and it spells an uphill battle for Stanford on Saturday. Like Do-Hyoung, I’m worried about how Kevin Hogan and his offensive line will hold up against the Trojans’ fearsome front seven led by Leonard Williams, a potential overall No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. I think the Cardinal O-line will be great by midseason, but I have trouble believing that the Tunnel Workers Union made big enough of an improvement between last week and now to win the battle in the trenches against the Trojans defense. Cody Kessler looked better than he actually is against a weak Fresno State defense last week, but he has enough talent to move the ball against Stanford’s defense. In many ways, he reminds me of Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook, who wasn’t a star but made enough plays to beat Stanford in the 100th Rose Bowl Game. Saturday’s game will probably come down to the last possession, but right now, I just like USC a little more.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.