Student groups meet with ASSU to discuss spring funding concerns

During the fourth meeting of the 16th Undergraduate Senate on Tuesday, several student groups took up the Senate’s previous invitation to attend the Senate’s weekly meetings in order to discuss ambiguities and concerns over general fees funding, as unrest about the lack of funding for spring quarter continues.

The first of these groups was the Alpha Delta Phi, a literary society, which filed a complaint over the lack of clear communication with the ASSU.

Students discuss concerns about spring funds for campus groups (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

“We’ve been having a difficult year with SSE [Student Services Enterprises] and ASSU,” said Omar Ezzine ’14, financial manager. “We’re not getting responses. We have had issues with group registration, budget misrepresentation on myGroups and receiving information.”

After a series of discussions and negotiations, the Senate decided to fund certain line items for Alpha Delta Phi’s upcoming Laker Music Festival on May 31, including costs incurred from setting up the stage for bands. The fraternity will be funded $2,500 out of a maximum of $6,000 possible for a general fees group. However, it will not be receiving spring quarter general fees funding for security and police, which is required by events with a certain threshold of anticipated audience.

“The initial rejection of the funding bill submitted by Alpha Delta Phi was before the bailout when we really didn’t have money at the time,” said chair Ben Holston ’15. “However, because we now have money to allot after the bailout, we will be funding them $2,500.”

Following Alpha Delta Phi, representatives from Stanford Astronomical Society (SAS) came in to clarify line item funding for telescope equipment.

After more discussions, SAS representative Ari Esters ’15 stated that the group had not realized the Senate was out of money for spring quarter, a confusion shared by other student groups.

The Senate decided to fund approximately half of what SAS had requested for telescope equipment since SAS had enough funds accumulated from their 2800 account in previous years.

“The Senate decided to pay for the difference between the cost we proposed for the structure and amount that was remaining on the old 2800 account, which turns out to be approximately half of what we requested,” Esters said.

Next, sorority members from Chi Omega discussed funding for their Wing Fling philanthropy event, the proceeds of which will be donated to the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

Chi Omega will ultimately be receiving $3,270 from general fees funding because the Senate agreed that that proceedings from the event should go toward the charity organization and not be used to host the event, Holston said.

Peter Moon at pmoon ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Peter is currently a deputy desk editor and a freshman majoring in economics (anticipated). He enjoys soccer, basketball, and fitness.