Department of Public Safety to reorganize bike abatement sales

The Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) anticipates selling an estimated 40 or 50 bikes on Thursday and will be implementing a new system for taking orders. While in the past, customers were required to line up at the gates of the bike lot for a first-come, first-serve opportunity to buy an abated bike, the SUDPS will now issue numbered tickets to interested bike buyers.

With the newly proposed system, these numbered tickets will be offered at the SUDPS front office between 8:15 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, and later that day at 11:30 a.m., ticketholders will be allowed into the bike lot to purchase bikes.

Stanford Daily File Photo
Stanford Daily File Photo

SUDPS changed the system in an effort to mitigate past sell-outs, which left interested buyers empty-handed. Under the new sale system, everyone who gets a ticket will have the opportunity to buy a bike, according to bike abatement director Carole Pierce. The precise number of bikes on sale is presently undetermined because University departments have the opportunity to buy bikes before they are offered to general public.

According to SUDPS Spokesman Bill Larson, the cost to acquire a bike is $33.50, including registration, which is required by Stanford’s Parking and Traffic Code requires registration of bicycles. Payment is accepted in check or cash. There are no refunds or returns in the sale, and all purchases are made at the buyer’s risk.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.