The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Ike’s Place to close, R&DE outlet to replace it

NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily
NICK SALAZAR/The Stanford Daily

Ike’s Place, the popular sandwich eatery located in the Huang Engineering Center, will leave campus at the end of this academic year at the expiration of its current contract.

Ike’s will be replaced in the Forbes Family Café space by a food outlet operated by Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE). The new outlet, whose format has yet to be finalized, will open on September 2, 2014.

A committee of students and staff from the Engineering Quad voted unanimously in favor of R&DE’s proposal, reaching their decision following the assessment of competing proposals against criteria like the potential partner’s commitment to green practices and the conclusion of a survey of Engineering Quad community members.

Engineering Quad community members surveyed identified their priorities for Ike’s replacement as the quality of food, value for money, convenience and the availability of healthy options and varied or seasonal offerings. Those surveyed supported food prices between $5.00 and $7.50 and wait times of less than 10 minutes.

Students protested against the plan on Saturday afternoon in White Plaza, with some in attendance suggesting that the establishment of another R&DE outlet on campus would create an uneven playing field for interested outside vendors.

Ike’s will remain open through Commencement Sunday — June 15.

Contact Marshall Watkins at mtwatkins ‘at’ stanford ‘dot’ edu.

Marshall Watkins is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily, having previously worked as the paper's executive editor and as the managing editor of news. Marshall is a junior from London majoring in Economics, and can be reached at mtwatkins "at" stanford "dot" edu.